Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

Some basic questions regarding the Epson scanner

1. at this price point, why is there no transparency holder for 2 1/4 slides---I understand one can separate the holder from the tranny & using the existing transparency holder provided for this sized film but ............

2. what are your suggestions for scanning 5x7BW negs on this scanner

3. is the Silver Fast scanning program which is a demo for 30 odd days on a new scanner purchase a worthy purchase after the demo program has run its course? Again at this price point, the Silver Fast program should be a "purchased" item when the scanner is purchased rather than a demo

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond

Re: Epson V850 Pro Scanner and 5x7 film & other

I scanned all my slides 16 years ago with dedicated NIKON scanner, I kept them, end of story

I dry scan 5X7 flat on Epson V700 glass with Epson 8X10 mask and a black mat cut to 5X7 and prefer to scan B&W in color

I have used Vuescan for years, it works with almost any scanner, with constant upgrades forever...

I really don't like scanning, or Digi printing

Most scans I do are to send a tiny Digi file to interested parties

parties are over

I do get 'emergency' scan requests and repair of old prints as we die off

a thankless job and Sad
    Tin Can

That's odd. My V800 came with a full license for SilverFast SE 8, not a demo. I had the option to upgrade (at a discount) to SilverFast SE Plus 8, which I did. Not entirely sure the upgrade was worth it, but compared to the cost of the scanner, it wasn't that painful.

I prefer Silverfast, having tried Vuescan and Epson scan-- but I admit, I'm not a typical user. I've been using computers and scanners of varying vintages for nearly 3 decades, so the anachronistic interface in Silverfast doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Bleesz View Post

1. at this price point, why is there no transparency holder for 2 1/4 slides---I understand one can separate the holder from the tranny & using the existing transparency holder provided for this sized film but ............

3. is the Silver Fast scanning program which is a demo for 30 odd days on a new scanner purchase a worthy purchase after the demo program has run its course? Again at this price point, the Silver Fast program should be a "purchased" item when the scanner is purchased rather than a demo

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond
    Raymond, I have aV850 Pro.
    1. There are two holders for each format including 120 medium format. The holder has some problems for some. Check this page out. https://forum.luminous-landscape.com...topic=129198.0
    2.There's no holder specifically for 5x7. I shoot 4x5, 120, and 35mm and don't shoot 5x7 that so I don't know how people scan it. I suppose it's scanned on the glass platen like the 8x10. But there's no specific holder.
    3. I use the Epsonscan program that comes with the V850 PRo and have never used Silverfast although the less expensive version is included in the V850 package from Epson.

Here's the Epson spec page for the scanner. https://epson.com/For-Work/Scanners/...r/p/B11B224201

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I have the Epson V750 scanner and use a simple 5x7 negative holder made out of two pieces of mat board - it works well for me.

Re: 120 film.

I bought the Better Scanning frame for my V850. I used GEPE glass slide mounts for all my MF transparencies, so it was easy to dismount them and load them into the Better Scanning frame. Results have been outstanding, to me. I've used the V850's MF frames but the Better Scanning frame is much better.

I've read that they've been out of production due to COVID, but are back up and running(?).
    Best,
    Dennis

I bought a V850 in 2020. I think that some version of silverfast was included, but I bought the discounted upgrade to have the option of saving RAW files and tweaking them later (they call this HDR mode for some incomprehensible reason).

I also use a third party holder for 120 film, the Lomography DIGITALISA but it wouldn’t help your mounted slides problem.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Bleesz View Post

Please enlighten

thank you

Raymond
    1. I misunderstood your first issue. If you're referring to 120 film (6x6) already mounted, then no there is no holder for it only for 35mm mounted slides.

There is a fluid mount adaptor for the Epson V800/850. Also fits the V700/750.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iABEgLbX_D_BwE

The adaptor is designed to scan with the film holder area which has a limit of about 6.5 x 8.5.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I scanned 5 x 7 wet mounted on an Epson 750 "mounting station"- I found it took less than 30 seconds to wet mount a negative and results were quite good. I upgraded to a Creo/Kodak IQsmart 2 and dry scan on the scanner glass. Better results but not cheap and not small. And not fast either.