Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musical Instruments

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Musical Instruments

I shot this 1952 Fender Telecaster in the backyard of a music producers home when I lived in the L.A. area. Shot this on my 4x5 and printed them in 11x14 for the owner and myself. The guitar is famous! It is Stevie Ray Vaughn's first guitar given to him by his brother Jimmie. I even got to play it! The guitar is known as " Jimbo" and if you google it you should still see my image of it online. It was eventually sold to a collector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15604E84-9400-4755-BB8F-4BC26500BE3B_1_201_a.jpg   F4BAF112-B786-44AB-ABCB-BF517B56E904_1_201_a.jpg  

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I shot this 1952 Fender Telecaster in the backyard of a music producers home when I lived in the L.A. area. Shot this on my 4x5 and printed them in 11x14 for the owner and myself. The guitar is famous! It is Stevie Ray Vaughn's first guitar given to him by his brother Jimmie. I even got to play it! The guitar is known as " Jimbo" and if you google it you should still see my image of it online. It was eventually sold to a collector.
    That's quite some guitar Jim! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    That's quite some guitar Jim! Thanks for sharing.
    David, it was quite an experience knowing its history. I played the guitar unplugged and I could tell how it would sound electrified. I'm glad I was able to photograph it.

David Schaller

I read that SRV traded that guitar for an Epiphone Riviera hollow body. Everybody makes mistakes like that when they're young. I'm glad the guitar survived and you had the chance to play it and take some nice photographs!

You are a man of many talents Jim. This one doesn't surprise me.

Inspired by the topic, I took this of the fiddle I inherited from my grandfather. Been playing it since I was 12 years old. 5x7 Panchro 400.

Back of Violin by Timothy Gordish, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You are a man of many talents Jim. This one doesn't surprise me.
    Jim, I collected some fine guitars back in the late 60's and early 70's. A '62 Strat, 70's white Strat, '57 reissue black Strat (I still have this one) a 68' Martin D-28. Guild 12 string and several others. Many are gone or passed down to my son's who are the real musicians. I was not one to practice much or take lessons. Kind of lazy back then and not driven like I am now.

Would love to do a few licks on that D-28!

I started playing in 1970...and purchased a Martin D12-20 at House of Guitars in Rochester, NY, in 1972, after spending a day there playing a bunch of other 12's. Played this every day for about thirty years...then a bit less frequently with other life changes. Long story short...the Martin's (non adjustable) neck began to bend, cracks appeared, and eventually I could only play it effectively with a slide - loved this actually! Should have sent it to Martin as at that point their "lifetime, no fault warranty" would have allowed a complete overhaul...but they are no longer quite this generous from what I gather.

At any rate, about eight years ago I began to look at Martin's again, but this time a six string...having in mind a D-28 "Marquis" re-issue, but also looked at the large dreadnaught from Collings. What a nice guitar! But could not justify something that pricy. I ended up with a really nice dreadnaught six from a Chinese company called Eastman. They've actually been creating wooden stringed instruments for over 100 years, and really know their stuff! The Eastman model I purchased is based roughly on the D-28, with rosewood body and adirondack spruce top - which gives a really brilliant (if a bit "punchy") sound. Very nice instrument...wonderful to play - for about a quarter the price of the equivalent Martin...and to my aging ears sounds just fine!

Sadly, I put the Eastman down about a year ago. Not sure why...but I know that I'll pick it up again soon. And the old Martin? There's a guy south of me who is certified to do Martin warranty repairs - and I just may pay him a visit!

Ha! This should probably be going in the "lounge" section...but then again, the creating of photographs is truly a holistic pursuit, and music remains one of my cherished sources of inspiration, as I know it does for many on this forum. I do think of Ansel and his piano...and Paul Caponigro - also with a piano...a Bosendorfer, to which he devoted himself fully for a year while taking a hiatus from photographing. I think he'll turn 88 or 89 this year (December)...and when I saw him last, just over six years ago - I think he mentioned that he still played his piano at that time...and my guess is that he plays it still.

Back for an edit...after all of the above, I'm starting to think that I may never have photographed my guitar! How could this be? Gotta do something about this!

It makes me happy to see this thread sprouting with so many good photos. Nice work, everybody!

Piano, Beaverton by Austin Granger, on Flickr

Stretching this thread a bit admittedly, but here's some musical instruments...in performance. Was at the limit of my Speed Graphic shutter, 1/30:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome