Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No dumb questions here...What have I purchased?

Re: No dumb questions here...What have I purchased?

Thanks for the correction, Lou.

Mr. Shiu is correct- you remove the front group of the 150mm Symmar to make it a 265mm lens. Opinions vary on the optical quality of the rear element alone, but you'll soon find out for yourself. Looks like you have good find!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Mr. Shiu is correct- you remove the front group of the 150mm Symmar to make it a 265mm lens. Opinions vary on the optical quality of the rear element alone, but you'll soon find out for yourself. Looks like you have good find!
    Yes use the green f/stop scale for 265mm rear cell only. BTW an orange filter in front of the shutter will improve and refine optical transmission through the rear group
    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

What I recall about the Symmar is that when you use the rear group alone, it's an appealing soft focus look when not stopped down much.

Quote Originally Posted by elkriverscott View Post
    In the olden days I shot 35mm for a living and recently decided to go to large format and happened upon a B & J Grover commercial view. Mono rail in original box.
    Looks great, nice lens and accessories, perfect bellows. What size did I buy. 5X7 or 8X10. How do I tell? Thanks for reading.
    P.S. Are the lens and shutter usually sold separately?

No idea what I'm doing but having a great time.

Attachment 215073

Attachment 215074Attachment 215075

Attachment 215076
    I think that is a Prontor shutter. It looks like the Prontor logo on the right front, photo 4. Has anyone seen a dial-set Prontor? The lens serial number indicates circa 1961-62. The 1962 Symmar brochure on cameraeccentric shows the 150 mm Symmar came in a no. 1 shutter but doesn't list what shutter choices (if any) were available.

I was surprised to see the 150 mm Symmar came in a no. 1 shutter; I would have guessed no. 0. Looking a bit further I see the 150 mm Symmar-S came in a no. 0 shutter.

On edit: Googling this turned up an image of a dial-set Prontor with a Dallmeyer oscilloscope lens.

Does anyone know when the plasmat formula Symmar was introduced?

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 20-Apr-2021 at 10:45. Reason: Additional information.

The first Schneider Symmars were f/6.8 designs; similar to a Dagor, I believe. Those were replaced by the "convertible" Symmars (as seen here) in the mid-1950s. I've used several of those lenses over the years; all of them were in Compur shutters. That lens series was replaced by the Symmar-S line in about 1972. I once had the introductory brochure for the Symmar-S lenses (long gone) where Schneider mentioned eliminating the convertible feature in order to improve optical performance. I've used both convertible Symmars and Symmar-S lenses and they are fine performers... never had a chance to do an A-B comparison, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    That lens series was replaced by the Symmar-S line in about 1972. I once had the introductory brochure for the Symmar-S lenses (long gone) where Schneider mentioned eliminating the convertible feature in order to improve optical performance.
    symmar_s_72.pdf

Thanks Oren, that's the one. When I got hired at Kodak in 1984 the English version of that brochure (along with a bunch of other ephemera) was in the desk they gave me. I still have some of those papers...