Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Re: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Ari, do the bottom of the legs have 3/16" threads for things like spikes?

One thing I'd like to see is accurate levels on the clamp visible from the sides. I know, I carry one of the plastic card levels, but it's be nice not to have to do that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter,
    Yes the legs have a 3/16" thread on the bottom. The tripod comes with spikes and rubber feet.
    We had to develop a new rubber foot for this tripod since the thicker 42mm tube is on the bottom and it has the mounting thread for the feet.

The new QLB-80 clamp has both a side and top bubble level, here are photos of the new clamp: https://www.flmcanada.com/product/flm-qlb-80-clamp/

I'm going to bring down the height of the Atlas 42-L2, I find a tripod that folds down to 40 inches a bit much.
    The new specs will be:
    Max height - 58.22"
    Folded length - 36.6"

I hope that sits well with anyone who is considering buying the L2. I prefer the shorter folded length and I don't think anyone using pro gear, digital or film, will miss the extra height.
    I consulted a few friends and customers, all of whom are 5'10" to 6' tall.

The other option that was proposed to me would make it a bit too short to use, in my estimation: 53.3" max height and 33.9" folded length.

Slight correction to the above:

The L2 will be offered in both 65" tall and 58" tall versions for the time being.
    After the 65" tripods are gone, we will only make the 58" version.

Thanks

Not necessarily relevant to this immediate question/thread, but an input for the future.

There's a maximum extended height (all leg sections fully extended yoke height, no center column) that's not common in high quality CF tripods but very useful to me, namely 53 or 53-1/2 inches. I have a Gitzo GT-2532S with your FLM CB-48FT on it that works fine, however, more options would be nice. I don't care whether it has two or three section legs, but dislike four.

Thanks, Sal.

So far I've resisted offering 3-section tripods only because I wanted to keep folded length reasonable while offering taller tripods.
    But they are being made for other markets, and they can be ordered on a one-off basis for no extra charge.

Your Gitzo looks like it uses ~26mm tubes. Using the CB-48 on such a thin-tubed tripod would make it a bit top-heavy and more prone to vibration.
    You'd get better performance by matching that head with a 34mm-tube tripod. You could consider the CP34-S3 II:

Model - CP34-S3 II
    Material - 10 layers Carbon, Aluminum
    Number of Leg Segments - 3
    Uppermost Tube Ø - 34mm
    Max. Height - 136cm (53.5")
    Min. Height - 11cm (4.3")
    Packing Dimension - 60cm x Ø12cm (23.6" x 4.7")
    Weight - 1.80kg (3.97 lbs)
    Max. Load - 40kg (88 lbs)
    Foot System - Rubber / Spike

I'd have to check with the factory, but price would be ~$660.00

There are 3-section versions of almost every tripod model we normally make in 4 sections. Just ask if you have some specs in mind.

Those look like bull's eye levels, ones that have to be viewed from above. Is that incorrect? The problem with these is it's not always possible to get above the tripod to see them, especially a tall tripod. I often set up my camera at eye level or above. What I'd like is accurate levels that can be read from the side.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Those are indeed bull's eye levels on the clamp, Peter.
    Top-mounted levels are more difficult to see if the camera is mounted high, but only those will show you if you're level.
    I use the card level for critical leveling, and I haven't found a better solution yet for leveling my camera when it's at eye level or taller.

Gotcha, thanks.

I wish I had gotten this kind of comment earlier in the design process, it's pretty late in the game to be adding this now.
    Since the shorter version L2 tripods are still in production, I can ask about implementing such a level.
    My guess is that drilling a slot in the existing apex will be too costly, but if done at the start, prior to CNC'ing the aluminum block, it might add nothing or very little to the cost.
    So maybe on the next run of Atlas tripods, after we assess cost and time.

I have to add that these types of levels built into tripods and heads are mostly decorative. I include our own bubble levels built into the tripod. With FLM, they're calibrated and adjusted very deliberately, but they're still rough guides at best.
    They can get you in the ballpark, but real leveling would have to be done with a proper accessory level as well as what you see on your ground glass/LCD monitor.

No worries, Ari.