Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Re: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Ari - This tripod looks like a great idea and something I'm definitely interested in. I won't be ready to buy for a few more months, but I've been thinking of getting a lighter tripod for my 8x10 for longer hikes and rougher trails. This one would just fit the bill and isn't crazy expensive like most of the other options out there. The FLM would be less than half the weight of what I have now, and the way I carry it this would make a big difference to me.
    Thanks for the photos and road test!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Back from the forest. Burned three sheets with three different lenses, all shutter speeds between 1/2s and 1/25s.
    I know I also sell this tripod, but I gotta say, it's working better than I'd hoped.
    Very easy to carry for the 2 miles there and back, very quick to open and most important, very steady throughout.

More testing (and hiking) is needed, but I think that if this can handle 80-90% of my regular 8x10 work, it's a big winner.
    Have a big beefy tripod for those critical times, or when working from the car, and use the CP22 for most of my regular work.

I like the idea of two section legs, since it's faster to set up. I'll often carry my tripod with legs partly extended for that same reason. Could you post some pictures with a normal sized adult in the frame so we can get a better idea of the working height in both one section and two section mode. That would be very helpful.

Yes! I'll post a photo of the tripod with a good frame of reference as soon as I can.
    Hopefully I'll get around to making a video as well.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    I like the idea of two section legs, since it's faster to set up. I'll often carry my tripod with legs partly extended for that same reason. Could you post some pictures with a normal sized adult in the frame so we can get a better idea of the working height in both one section and two section mode. That would be very helpful.
    Here you go, standing 5'8" tall:

At full extension, and using an 8x10/5x7/4x5/WLF, the tripod would be too tall for me. Especially if I add a head.
    To shoot 8x10 at eye level, I'd have to lower the tripod about 4-5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks! If it does well, this tripod will be available in Europe in the not-too-distant future. You can also get one from me, but shipping to the UK will run about $95.00.
    For years, I've been mulling a CP42-M2, even thicker tubes than a CP38. And for that, I think we'd have to keep the height and leg sections about the same as the CP22.
    The 42mm leg section one sounds very interesting - I've considered trying to find a Gitzo G1515 (or earlier variants), but the short 120cm/ 47" height has always rather dissuaded me. 130-140cm would be much more useful.

Drew Wiley

If the whole idea is to streamline things, for example, to carry on a bicycle, then the simple A to B path of sacrificing vertical collapsibility for sake of fewer leg sections makes perfect sense, and would be a very simple manufacturing tweak to ask for on an extant model. But just for sake of "what if" possibilities fodder, if the top itself was greater diameter, either by itself, or via the legs hinging off a perimeter "corolla-effect" rather than below, then, with very little or no weight gain, you'd achieve way more torque strength and torsion resistance (important on big flatbed camera applications), but inherently at the expense a bulkier top, harder to grip and carry without a sling. That would also be a little more to ask in terms of redesign, and I don't know if any patents would be in conflict. But it is a way to get significantly more bang for the buck, overall weight-wise. ... thinking yet another step ahead. But I already have something like that, and know how much it improves flatbed stability.

First, I'm buying more Brett Weston books when I have no room for more books (or so I'm told by my wife). Now another tripod! When and how much, please?

Drew Wiley

A flatbed camera should operate reasonably well atop a stack of books. Thought about that one? And they are portable, and would at least be out of sight of the wife. (Sorry, Ari... I'll defer to sanity now)...

https://www.flmcanada.com/product/fl...-l4-ii-tripod/

Since I am not a Mule and don't hike mountains anymore

Most likely, as I consider the above a feather at 4.9 lb and more useful for me, perhaps I don't need anything new

Soon I will set up my tripod forest and shoot a panorama........handheld
    Tin Can

Thanks for the photos, Ari. That gives a much better perspective on the working heights.

It really seems to be a wonderful compromise between low weight, portability, and useful working height. The longer two section leg design is a real winner in my mind. I'd gladly trade off some compactness to have far fewer adjustment knobs/levers to do/undo with every setup.