Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

I'm currently using an 8.5-pound field camera (8x10) and I have some heavy lenses, between 2 and 4.5 pounds.
    I've been trying to find the smallest (thinnest tube) and lightest tripod that can be reliably used with my 8x10 for when I take my gear on a walk or bicycle ride.
    With the input of one of our forum members here, I've enlisted the services of the FLM factory to make a new tripod - in very small quantities at first.
    This will test if it's a viable solution not just for our purposes, but if it could be an ultralight solution for any photographer.

The new tripod is the CP22-M2.
    This means that the carbon tubes are 22mm in diameter, and it's a 2-section tripod.
    The CP22-M2 will be 55.12" tall when fully extended, and 33.85" tall when folded.

While I wait for the new tripod, I've been doing my testing with the CP22-S4, which also uses 22mm tubes at the top, but is a 4-section tripod. I use a 38mm ball head with the tripod for my testing.
    The 4-section should be slightly less stable overall than a 2-section, but that remains to be seen given that each leg section is longer on the M2.
    Still, if a lot of the vibration comes from those skinny leg sections at the bottom of the tripod, then this could prove a winner.
    The 2-section will certainly be easier to open and close quickly.

Nonetheless, I've had good success thus far with my 8x10 and regular-sized lenses (210 Plasmat, 300mm Tessar), and it's been successful with a Fuji GX680 system as well.
    So I look forward to trying the new 2-section ultralight.

Price will be $299.00 USD, including shipping to US and Canada. Contact me and I'll send you some images of it next week when it comes in.
    Thanks

Re: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

That sounds like a great option, Ari! Please send me some pictures when you get them.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Will do, Peter. Thanks!

Agree
    Tin Can

Do or do not. There is no try.

Ari, do you know how much does the CP22-M2 weighs by itself?

Not yet, Steve. I'll have the exact figures late next week when the tripod arrives.
    The current CP22-S4 weighs 1.94 pounds, or 881g, so I'd expect the M2 to be in that neighborhood.
    Fewer leg grips, but longer carbon tubes.
    My fingers are crossed that we chose the right tube diameter for this.

Wow, I would be very curious, at 22mm that is thinner than a typical 2 series Gitzo, and with two sections only, I wonder if flex might become an issue.

I wonder, too, but the leg section length was capped at ~32 inches, so flex must become a factor at around 40 inches (my guess).

The tripod is in, just arrived today, and it's available for purchase. I have 8 of them available.

https://www.flmcanada.com/product/fl...-m2-ii-tripod/

I'll put it through its paces in the next few days, see what it can do and report back here of course.

I'll be starting today with some work using the new CP22-M2 tripod.
    All relevant photos will be put here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/zsari/K1PDP5
    I've paired it with a basic CB-38F ball head with an old QRP-70 clamp.

Going to the woods later with a 10" Petzval lens, a 300mm Fuji in a Copal 3 shutter and a small-ish 210mm Rodenstock. I'll see what I can see.

So far, I've only put my camera and lens on the tripod and worked it a bit, trying to get a feel for how it balances and supports my gear.
    I have to say that it's a good improvement over the 4-section CP22 I've been using, which gave me zero cause for complaint.
    Having only two sections per leg (vs 4) feels stronger, and is much faster to set up (duh), but the real test will be in the film.
    So the Petzval, and some long exposures, should tell me what I need to know.
    With no leg section extended, the camera is around waist-level for me.