Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Re: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I use a ries head with FLM Berlin 38 tripod with its bowl. It can handle my 11x14 camera.
    Hi, Hugo, curious which Ries head you're using w the tripod, the j or the a250? Have you tried it w just the bowl? I'm currently using the Ries a250 head on an old Ries A tripod for my 810 KMV as well as a 717 F&S but would like something lighter for travelling. The Ries legs weigh 11 lbs, the head about 2 (which is pretty close to what the cameras weigh). How much does your current legs+bowl+head weigh? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    OK, so that's just a couple of pounds under my KMV w lens, have you tried it w a longer lens, say a 19"?
    I don't have longer lenses than a 12" Ektar, but I do have heavier lenses.
    Here's the CP26-TM2 tripod with the Schneider 210 XL. Such a thin-tubed tripod does cause the camera to vibrate, but it's manageable if you really want to use a tripod that weighs under 2 pounds.
    For everyday work I would definitely recommend going with something bigger. I do these tests mostly to see what I can get away with, but it isn't ideal for regular use.

For those who want to fully embrace the rigidity and stability offered by the Atlas tripods, we'll be offering kits with each Atlas tripod.
    The HB-100 half ball, the CC-100 bowl adapter and the QLB-80 QR clamp will be available with the Atlas tripods at a discounted price.
    This will allow you to use the tripod without a head, but still provide you with 15˚ of camera movement, enough for most LF applications.
    The camera will have a QR plate mounted to it, and that attaches to the QLB-80 clamp, which is mounted atop the half-ball.
    This gives you a low center of gravity and an almost direct camera-tripod connection.
    It's the best, most stable tripod set-up I know of that still offers enough adjustment possibilities.

And here's what that kit would look like:

The following are now in stock:
    • Atlas 42-L4 tripod
    • CC-100 bowl adapter
    • QLB-80 clamp
    • HB-100 leveling ball

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi, Hugo, curious which Ries head you're using w the tripod, the j or the a250? Have you tried it w just the bowl? I'm currently using the Ries a250 head on an old Ries A tripod for my 810 KMV as well as a 717 F&S but would like something lighter for travelling. The Ries legs weigh 11 lbs, the head about 2 (which is pretty close to what the cameras weigh). How much does your current legs+bowl+head weigh? Thanks
    G,

I use a J head with the bowl as it is smaller than A250. The Ries head adds some height to the FLM tripod which is nice. If I plan a long hike, I just take the Ries head off to reduce the weight.

We made a short video with the new Atlas 42-L4 tripod:

I just received the Atlas 42-L2 tripod. It's the most beautiful, amazing tripod I've ever laid eyes on. Truly a wonder among tripods. A freakin' 2-section tripod with 42mm tubes!
    It weighs 5.4 pounds, but feels lighter.

Now, I want to solicit some opinions from anyone following this thread.

Originally, we planned to make this 2-section tripod 6 feet tall. Randy suggested a max height of 65 inches, and that's what this tripod is now.
    But the folded height is just a bit under 40 inches.
    I don't think most of us here shooting LF have a problem carrying such a long folded tripod since we usually pack up our gear before moving to a new location.
    The tripod would be carried over one shoulder, typically.

But I'm also thinking of others who use smaller gear and tend to strap the tripod to a backpack (me included, when I'm shooting digital).
    At nearly 40 inches, strapping this tripod to a backpack would make for a very unwieldy experience, not an easy balancing act when walking.

So my question is: do I reduce the folded length of the tripod a bit more?
    I was thinking it should be 34-35 inches. Or should it be a little less?
    What do you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I just received the Atlas 42-L2 tripod. It's the most beautiful, amazing tripod I've ever laid eyes on. Truly a wonder among tripods. A freakin' 2-section tripod with 42mm tubes!
    It weighs 5.4 pounds, but feels lighter.

Now, I want to solicit some opinions from anyone following this thread.

Originally, we planned to make this 2-section tripod 6 feet tall. Randy suggested a max height of 65 inches, and that's what this tripod is now.
    But the folded height is just a bit under 40 inches.
    I don't think most of us here shooting LF have a problem carrying such a long folded tripod since we usually pack up our gear before moving to a new location.
    The tripod would be carried over one shoulder, typically.

But I'm also thinking of others who use smaller gear and tend to strap the tripod to a backpack (me included, when I'm shooting digital).
    At nearly 40 inches, strapping this tripod to a backpack would make for a very unwieldy experience, not an easy balancing act when walking.

So my question is: do I reduce the folded length of the tripod a bit more?
    I was thinking it should be 34-35 inches. Or should it be a little less?
    What do you think?

Thanks
    I think you would then want the original design as well . I don't think you would like the shorter one for most studio and urban work.

Thanks, Neal.
    I was thinking we already have the 72"-tall Atlas 42-L4, so it would be better to have more of a height difference in these two tripods.
    That way they'd serve different needs.
    Believe me, the L2, as it is, is quite long when folded. A few inches shy of 4 feet long.

The L2 would likely attract more LF people, as well as anyone who takes things slow and considers their photos.
    They would be more likely to use a very stable type of head, and a larger camera, both of which would add to the overall height by 7-12 inches (my guess).
    So reducing the max height to 58-60 inches doesn't sound as drastic. And it gives those long-range hikers a tripod that's easier to carry.