Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobodrum for prints

Jobodrum for prints

Is it just me or are these hard to come by in the used market? I'm having a hard time finding a drum for developing prints. And some are hundreds of dollars. Is that normal? I'm not looking to get a mammoth sized drum. I'm just starting out and need a decent beginner drum for hand processing prints. I see one Jobodrum 4531 on the bay for 200. Is that a good deal? Looks mint with all the pieces. Thanks in advance for any light you all can shed on this for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Re: Jobodrum for prints

Honestly too much trouble for prints. Better to use single tray processing with some beakers/pitchers of chemistry. Cheaper and easier. If you must use a drum, you could try a DIY PVC drum but heavy and cumbersome.

Cibachrome drums for 8x10 popup occasionally and are usually cheaper. If space is the issue consider vertically stacking 8x10 trays. The best method I ever saw was adjustable shelving. I used to use a Bathtub at one point with a 1x12 across the tub and that held Developer and Stop with fixer below it and the wash water was under the tap. My back wouldn't allow that at my current age.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Usually drums are used for color prints. What are you intending to do with it?

I have some drums lying around here that I'd sell if you are interested.

Drew Wiley

Ditto. Drums make sense for color chemistry and RC papers, not for FB black and white work, if that's what you have in mind. Lots of brands are acceptable - for tiny 8x10's my favorite are the cheapest and simplest drums of them all, the old DevTec ones.

Any of the old color printing drums except Unicolor which leaks through the gasket. I have been unable to find a replacement material for the gasket which will work belter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Any of the old color printing drums except Unicolor which leaks through the gasket. I have been unable to find a replacement material for the gasket which will work belter.
    Jim, if threaded try PVC tape, Thin and can be layered. For thicker applications I have found electrical tape to function as a gasket/seal.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

What about drums makes them less useful for black and white printmaking? I live in an apartment and although I can make a light tight space large enough for my enlarger (and me) I don't have the privilege of a space large enough to also accommodate even for stacked trays that would also have access to running water.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarkon View Post
    What about drums makes them less useful for black and white printmaking?
    As Drew mentioned above, they're fine for B&W RC paper.

I've been using my Jobo 2830 with extension module to process 11x14 sheets of FB Ilford Harman Direct Positive paper. I do the final rinse in a separate tray. It works fine.