Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 cameras?

Re: 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by tdicorcia View Post
    Jason,
    Thanks for the offer of information. The whole plate camera I bought has a back that is 192.5 mm wide. Meaning a film holder would have to be narrower than this. The distance from the "backstop" (the end of the 3-sided area that accepts the film holder) to the far side of the rib channel is 236.8 mm. In other words, the film holder should be <= 236.8 mm from the taped end to the top on the rib.
    I am posting a picture of the the four WP film holders I have. The Toyo Cut holder is the only one that has a short enough rib distance to fit. Unfortunately, the Toyo Cut holder is about 3mm too wide.
    Since I have several Toyo Cut film holders in OK condition, I think I'm going to increase the width on my camera back to accept the Toyo holders. These are the lightest holders of the bunch. Also, I have a Sakai half-plate, metal field camera. If I ever buy the whole plate expansion back for this camera, it should (I would hope)
    Attachment 215371accept the Toyo WP holders.
    What you need are antique Premo Camera plate holders, with a film sheath adapter to shoot film. I can spare one to get you started, though I don’t think I have an insert to load film in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED07631A-F0C9-4D97-AF8C-18EC03987810.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	215583

Name:	F40E356D-9976-487B-A26B-22327AB41C56.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	215584

Name:	0D2AF04D-38A6-48AB-BF66-B2390D66F9D4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	215585
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Aspiring LF photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    What you need are antique Premo Camera plate holders, with a film sheath adapter to shoot film. I can spare one to get you started, though I don’t think I have an insert to load film in it.
    Wow. It's amazing to me to see a film holder with just the right width. Unfortunately, at 215mm to the bottom of the rib) it won't quite cover the camera opening at the taped end when the rib is in place. The taped end of the holder just barely comes up to the end of the opening, not even close to the backstop.

I imagine that back in the day, one could find a carpenter that could make up film holders to your exact specification. It is pretty delicate woodwork, though.

Thank you for the kind offer to send me a holder, but I live in Japan, which means parcel post is expensive. I will do fine with the Toyo holders.

Actually, I do have some older wooden plate holders that came with another purchase. I should check those. Some day, I will want to try some of your WP glass plates.

Tom

You read the length measurement wrong. I’m showing the bottom of the holder, so length from rib to end is 232mm. What you thought is the rib is actually a spring-loaded wood strip inside the holder that retains the dry plate. Sorry about that..I forget not everyone has seen a plate holder up close. This is definitely the holder type that fits your camera...length would intentionally be undersized a mm or two from your measurements to ensure fit after manufacturing tolerances.

There are an amazing variety of Whole aka Full Plate cameras on eBay right now

However as noted holders and Plate sizes vary

Try to buy holders and camera together and be ready to deal with 'T' variance which can be fiddled
    Tin Can

Aspiring LF photographer

Got it. Yes. It would fit. Premo Camera plate holders. I'm glad its recorded here.

Sorry about the mixup. You're right that I have not spent much time with an LF plate holder. I've not tried to load them.
    Thanks for the tike it took to go measure it and post the results.

No problem and good luck! Whole plate format is a great format. The aspect ratio is really nice.

Posted on Show Off Your Camera

ANBA IKEDA Whole Plate

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1602993
    Tin Can

Arca-Swiss

For many years in the 19th century, film sizes were set or cut down from Whole plate with the only one left direct in lineage, I believe is 6x9 / 6th plate on 120 film. This is the oldest continuously manufactured film also by the way.

You can find old Daguerreotypes in 1/6 plate sizes. Very Common.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    For many years in the 19th century, film sizes were set or cut down from Whole plate with the only one left direct in lineage, I believe is 6x9 / 6th plate on 120 film. This is the oldest continuously manufactured film also by the way.

You can find old Daguerreotypes in 1/6 plate sizes. Very Common.
    Interesting, thanks

Would you consider 8x10 for convenience? You can then crop, use masks, or custom backs for any smaller format if you want dedicated holders. Pricing for annual ULF film order for 6.5x8.5 is not much lower than the 8x10 film stocked year round.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography