Thread: Scanner software for HP G4050 in Mac 10.14 (High Sierra)

Scanner software for HP G4050 in Mac 10.14 (High Sierra)

Hi folks, first post on the forum; glad to be here. I just purchased a used HP Scanjet G4050, specifically because it can scan 4x5. For that purpose only, I'm relatively content using the Image Capture app, which is what the HP driver uses by default. For many years I've been happily scanning 35mm and medium format with an Epson Perfection V500 and the Epson Scan app. My purpose for scanning is mainly for quick cataloging, not fine scanning. So that being said, I was happy with the Epson's ability to scan up to 12 35mm, or 2 6x6 frames at a time. Whenever possible, I would use the automatic thumbnail feature to speed up the workflow. So far I have not been able to find software for the HP Scanjet G4050 that retains that functionality, namely the ability to detect multiple frames on a strip of film, and scan them as a batch. I've tried Image Capture, VueScan, and HP Scan. Even something advanced like VueScan, seems to be designed for one-frame-at-a-time scanning. I'm looking for something to speed up my workflow, not slow it down. Worse comes to worse, I'll continue using the Epson for my 35mm and 120 scanning, and the HP for 4x5, but I'd rather find a way to use the HP for all formats, especially since the film holders that came with the HP hold a lot more than the Epson's (5 strips of 35mm, 2 full strips of 120). Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Scanner software for HP G4050 in Mac 10.14 (High Sierra)

You can do multiple scans with vuescan. Go to options+ > Crop and turn on multi-crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    You can do multiple scans with vuescan. Go to options+ > Crop and turn on multi-crop.
    Thanks, I tried that option but that it's pretty clunky.

I decided to ditch the HP and buy an Epson 4990 instead. I spent more money, but I'll be able to use the Epson Scan software that has become integral to my workflow, and it'll allow me to do 4x5, and 4 strips of 35mm at a time. So problem mostly solved. Now I have to try and return the HP, and also put my Epson V500 up for sale, to try and make up some of the extra expense.

Just coming back here to report that I received my Epson 4990 scanner today, and it is everything I need at a price I can afford. It'll scan 4 strips of 35mm at a time 2, or two 4x5s. Epson Scan works the same as with my V500, so my workflow is unaffected. Success!