Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarger?

  1. #11
    Les
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ex-Seattlelite living in PNW
    Posts
    1,149

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    No idea how beastly is this enlarger, but I had to move a real nice bandsaw (750lbs in horiz position) appx year ago and only two furniture dollys were used. The truck had a real nice heavy duty lift gate on it. Lifting it onto each dolly was done via this massive belt.....one person on each side lifting with shoulders. Stairs will complicate things. Hope this would be of some help.

    Les

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    25

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	215012

    This is an image of the type of Saltzman I am moving. I have to figure how to take apart the counterweights and base. The head has already been taken apart.

  3. #13
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,333

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    The lamp head is off, the bellows assembly is also easy in one unit

    Yours is just like mine, the smallest 10x10

    Get 2 car jack stands first, I prefer the cast iron type as they have a wider saddle

    If you have a forklift that makes it easy with web slings, do not use a cherry picker, a portable horizontal hoist may be handy, you can rent them

    Crank the weights to the lowest

    My weights are 20 lbs each, X 6

    They have a hole the chain runs through to a hook, making a 120 lb stack, yours may have more

    The SS pipe is very heavy all by itself, If you have the top cap, preserve it now, they are rare

    Strip the bottom table off completely so it doesn't get damaged

    My has 2 parts stacked

    I suggest you get 3 strong guys with gloves and steel toe boots

    and tip it down onto the jack stands

    But the base is not square at the rear, so block it up with wood so it won't tip away

    Then unbolt the cast iron column socket from the base

    Which requires removing the hand wheels first, mark them as they can be exchanged and will screw you up

    Disconnect the chain plate

    I had a hard time getting the gummed up weights out

    So I used a good 2X4 x 8 ft to hammer them out, with a 4 lb hammer

    If stairs are used, remember the bottom guy has a far heavier load

    I may have forgotten something, it's been maybe 6 years

    Good luck and thanks for the picture

    ps I read the story of the 2 post Saltzman move in one piece, they had a real hard time







    I
    2022

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    25

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The lamp head is off, the bellows assembly is also easy in one unit

    Yours is just like mine, the smallest 10x10

    Get 2 car jack stands first, I prefer the cast iron type as they have a wider saddle

    If you have a forklift that makes it easy with web slings, do not use a cherry picker, a portable horizontal hoist may be handy, you can rent them

    Crank the weights to the lowest

    My weights are 20 lbs each, X 6

    They have a hole the chain runs through to a hook, making a 120 lb stack, yours may have more

    The SS pipe is very heavy all by itself, If you have the top cap, preserve it now, they are rare

    Strip the bottom table off completely so it doesn't get damaged

    My has 2 parts stacked

    I suggest you get 3 strong guys with gloves and steel toe boots

    and tip it down onto the jack stands

    But the base is not square at the rear, so block it up with wood so it won't tip away

    Then unbolt the cast iron column socket from the base

    Which requires removing the hand wheels first, mark them as they can be exchanged and will screw you up

    Disconnect the chain plate

    I had a hard time getting the gummed up weights out

    So I used a good 2X4 x 8 ft to hammer them out, with a 4 lb hammer

    If stairs are used, remember the bottom guy has a far heavier load

    I may have forgotten something, it's been maybe 6 years

    Good luck and thanks for the picture

    ps I read the story of the 2 post Saltzman move in one piece, they had a real hard time



    I
    Hi Tin Can,

    I have a lot of questions. Part of the problem is that the enlarger is not in front of me it is at the other person's house. I will just ask the first few. You said something about "disconnect the chain plate". Do you mean just take apart the chain? I assume "chain plate" refers to part of the chain the rivets go into. Is it difficult to put the chain back. I assume you are not breaking it first. It just slips off? Also, how hard is it to put the gears and counter weights back.

  5. #15
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,333

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    No need to 'break' the chain, or push the chain link pins like a bicycle

    The chain is connected to the 'traveler' which rides outside on the chrome tube, then it goes over a fixed rolling gear at the very top, then goes down the tube inside and through lead weight donut holes where it fastens to a worm drive gear

    Where is this thing, is the last user/owner no longer available?

    I am far better at mechanics when I have the thing in hand rather than telling somebody else how to do it, with unknown skills

    Get back next to it with a good cell phone camera with flash and shoot every angle, part and particularly underneath

    Ever change the engine on a car? Same skills


    Keep it coming!
    2022

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    643

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    Off topic but

    nice Focomat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Before I answer I want a picture of YOUR Saltzman

    Talking is no good, writing is easier to remember for you

    Learn how to post a picture on this forum, like below, my Saltzman is in storage in pieces in my shed

    Here is my smallest 5X7 Elwood, which I can pick up off the floor, barely! Notice the 2 tiny enlargers next to it

    IMG-1572 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    25

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    I have some photos that were sent over. He wrote "Surveying how to dismantle it, there are 5 bolts, a pin, and one Allen key to remove or loosen. You and I will do that. " My fear that while it is easy to take a car apart putting it together is much harder. So I am trying to take this slow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	215096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	215097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	215098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	215099

    I may try to video tape it. Thank you so much for your help. I bought this thing and I desperately don't want to turn it into trash. Would you be willing to do a google call so I can show it to you and get your advice? Feel free to say no. I know the request is a bit of a random imposition.

    Once again thanks.

  8. #18
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,333

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    Andy, I am very aware that many cannot reassemble a spoon, those that can break bolts

    Sounds like the seller is very cooperative, not always the case

    We will talk on cell phone when you are ready

    I will PM you my email shortly

    The 3 complicated 10X10 enlargers I moved twice all came to me in bits, puzzles

    FOTAR, Calumet, Saltzman

    2 8X10 Elwoods, they are simple yet heavy like the rest

    My wall mount 10X10 Beseler conversion was also easy, this weak old man hung it on the wall with a boat winch


    Lastly I want us to continue documenting your Saltsman adventure in this thread, not secret PM



    Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    I have some photos that were sent over. He wrote "Surveying how to dismantle it, there are 5 bolts, a pin, and one Allen key to remove or loosen. You and I will do that. " My fear that while it is easy to take a car apart putting it together is much harder. So I am trying to take this slow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	215096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	215097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	215098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61805fcf73282255f02a190351e562ef4044e138-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	215099

    I may try to video tape it. Thank you so much for your help. I bought this thing and I desperately don't want to turn it into trash. Would you be willing to do a google call so I can show it to you and get your advice? Feel free to say no. I know the request is a bit of a random imposition.

    Once again thanks.
    2022

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    25

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Andy, I am very aware that many cannot reassemble a spoon, those that can break bolts

    Sounds like the seller is very cooperative, not always the case

    We will talk on cell phone when you are ready

    I will PM you my email shortly

    The 3 complicated 10X10 enlargers I moved twice all came to me in bits, puzzles

    FOTAR, Calumet, Saltzman

    2 8X10 Elwoods, they are simple yet heavy like the rest

    My wall mount 10X10 Beseler conversion was also easy, this weak old man hung it on the wall with a boat winch


    Lastly I want us to continue documenting your Saltsman adventure in this thread, not secret PM

    Thank you so much. This is so nice of you. But just to let you know I am rather new to the forum so I don't know what "PM" means or how to do it.... Sorry.

  10. #20
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,333

    Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

    PM means Private Message

    Look that up in your forum settings

    And set it up




    Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    Thank you so much. This is so nice of you. But just to let you know I am rather new to the forum so I don't know what "PM" means or how to do it.... Sorry.
    2022

Similar Threads

  1. Moving a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger
    By mbuonocore in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21-May-2015, 13:37

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •