Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarger?

How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarger?

I need to move a 8x10 Saltzman enlarger out of someones home. The movers said they would not touch it because it is too heavy so I am going to have to take it apart. This scares the heck out of me because it tends to be easy to take something apart but really difficult to put it back together. I need to somehow remove the base and take apart the counter weights. Does anyone have any experience doing this. Are there any instructions out there on how to do it? Any help would be greatful.

Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

I moved a partly dismantled Saltzman twice and still have it

Show a picture of your problem

a few here moved them completely assembled, a really bad idea
    Tin Can

Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

I have some large Durst Laborator enlargers that I had to bring upstairs. I used a strap cart rated for 600 lbs and hauled them up the stairs. I had to remove some parts to accommodate the width of the stairwell and I removed the head from the enlarger. It still weighed in at 150 lbs and my biggest problem was with the height of the enlarger; the column was about 7 1/2 ft high. It is now in a room with 9 ft ceilings and I can take full advantage of the projection capabilities of this enlarger. It also has the ability to do horizontal projection by placing it on rails.
    If you are taking something apart, take photos of it as you proceed so that you know how to put it back together.

Sincerely,

John

Tin Can

This person made a wooden frame to assist moving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saltzman Moving.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	214988

I think I need to take the chain off and remove the counterweights also I may need to remove the bolts at the bottom. Did you do this? I think if I remove the base all of the gears come undone. How hard would it be to put back together. How hard is it to put the chain back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Hi Tin Can. How could I talk to you? Also, I do not see any pictures. Do you have directions on how to do it?

Before I answer I want a picture of YOUR Saltzman

Talking is no good, writing is easier to remember for you

Learn how to post a picture on this forum, like below, my Saltzman is in storage in pieces in my shed

Here is my smallest 5X7 Elwood, which I can pick up off the floor, barely! Notice the 2 tiny enlargers next to it

IMG-1572 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    Hi Tin Can. How could I talk to you? Also, I do not see any pictures. Do you have directions on how to do it?
    Tin Can

Try looking up "drayage" in the yellow pages near you.

Some Saltzman pictures I found
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.12.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	215010