Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarger?

Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

Hi Everyone,

We tried to take apart the enlarger today. We were able to unscrew the bolts that connected the base of the enlarger to the steel shaft but then we got stuck. The focusing knob connects to a rod that rises parallel with the giant steel column. If you look at this old picture you will see that the rod connects to a set of gears. To remove the gears from the rod we have to take out a pin. The problem is that we can not get the pin out. We are so close to dismantling it but so far away. This pin is just incredibly stuck. It might be soldered on. Please take a look at the videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photograph of gears:

This video shows the dilemma we are dealing with. We removed the base but can not remove the focusing rod:
    This is a video of us looking for the pin: https://youtu.be/xrAyVknW-iE

This video shows our first (sloppy) attempt at trying to knock out the pin. Overtime we got a better angle on it but we still could not knock it out: https://youtu.be/H_ZRLihUKws

This is what the pin looks like. I don’t think we can remove the gears before we remove it. Also we may not need to remove the gears if it connects to the focusing rod we might just need to remove the rod: https://youtu.be/lnzZ2mW7fHg

Re: How does one dismantle and put together a really large and heavy Saltzman enlarg

Hi Everyone,

We tried to take apart the enlarger today. We were able to unscrew the bolts that connected the base of the enlarger to the steel shaft but then we got stuck. The focusing knob connects to a rod that rises parallel with the giant steel column. If you look at this old picture you will see that the rod connects to a set of gears. To remove the gears from the rod we have to take out a pin. The problem is that we can not get the pin out. We are so close to dismantling it but so far away. This pin is just incredibly stuck. It might be soldered on. Please take a look at the videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photograph of gears: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gear With Stuck Pin.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	215372

This video shows the dilemma we are dealing with. We removed the base but can not remove the focusing rod: https://youtu.be/yUimP9cuYEo

This is a video of us looking for the pin: https://youtu.be/xrAyVknW-iE

This video shows our first (sloppy) attempt at trying to knock out the pin. Overtime we got a better angle on it but we still could not knock it out:

This is what the pin looks like. I don’t think we can remove the gears before we remove it. Also we may not need to remove the gears if it connects to the focusing rod we might just need to remove the rod: https://youtu.be/lnzZ2mW7fHg

Going to my shed to look see
    Tin Can

Yup, as I already wrote in an email to you

I NOW recall it was a Pain to remove, I believe I used proper tools to do it, a pin drift with brass hammer

and it took a while laying on the floor working upside down

Salzman Bevel Drive by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Safety g00gles must be used!

To add to the fun, they fog up all the time
    Tin Can

Hi Everyone,

We hit bust with trying to remove the pins. We are looking at cutting the focusing rod. I HATE this idea. The pin seems to be made of harden steel. We tried to hammer it out and we tried to drill it out. So far no luck. If anyone else has an idea let me know. I hate the idea of cutting the focusing rod because I can't imagine that fixing the rod won't cause problems later. I am feeling a little desperate here. I do not want to break parts of the Saltzman as I move it. Any advice would be helpful.

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We hit bust with trying to remove the pins. We are looking at cutting the focusing rod. I HATE this idea. The pin seems to be made of harden steel. We tried to hammer it out and we tried to drill it out. So far no luck. If anyone else has an idea let me know. I hate the idea of cutting the focusing rod because I can't imagine that fixing the rod won't cause problems later. I am feeling a little desperate here. I do not want to break parts of the Saltzman as I move it. Any advice would be helpful.

-Andy
    Some pins only remove from one direction as they are slightly tapered. Try both sides if possible before giving up, and I second the suggestion to use a pin punch and a small hammer

45er

I would not advise drilling out the pin because you run the risk of damage to the shaft or gear. That being siad, if you do have to drill it out try a cobalt drill.

I told him that this morning in email

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest MacMillan View Post
    Some pins only remove from one direction as they are slightly tapered. Try both sides if possible before giving up, and I second the suggestion to use a pin punch and a small hammer
    Tin Can

Pictures of MY Saltzman I already sent to OP this morning

Salt 3 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Salt 2 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Salt 1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can