Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with New Fujinon W 135mm f5.6

Question Problem with New Fujinon W 135mm f5.6

So I recently got a "Near Mint" Fujinon W 135mm off of the auction site for my first foray into large format. Then an issue came up while I was testing the lens; the shutter seems to treat the 'B' and 'T' settings as the same, once I cock the shutter after setting it the only way to close the shutter is to move the shutter speed ring. After that happens, all the slow speeds go out of whack and I have to fire the lens at 1/30th or 1/60th to get those speeds to act normally. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qir...ew?usp=sharing

I know I can just return the lens and get another version of the same lens, but I wanted to know if this is a regular problem or if I did anything wrong.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Problem with New Fujinon W 135mm f5.6

The video doesn't play for me. Maybe it's rated R.

Not sure from your description what is going on, but close the shutter first, then cock the shutter. This is most agreeable with shutters I have.

It may be that the shutter needs cleaning - often refereed to as a CLA (clean, lube, adjustment). Besides the T and B setting is the 1 second slow as well? If so this would be a indicator of a sticky shutter. I was able to look at the video. I have a shutter that needs a CLA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    The video doesn't play for me. Maybe it's rated R.

Not sure from your description what is going on, but close the shutter first, then cock the shutter. This is most agreeable with shutters I have.
    Actually in testing the lens again, it looks like the problem is just with the 'B' setting as it just sticks and the other speeds seem to do what they are supposed to do. I dont think it'll stay that way but it just seems weird. I can link a video I took of this if you want to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    It may be that the shutter needs cleaning - often refereed to as a CLA (clean, lube, adjustment). Besides the T and B setting is the 1 second slow as well? If so this would be a indicator of a sticky shutter. I was able to look at the video. I have a shutter that needs a CLA as well.
    The 1 second setting is pretty much spot on but I'll look into a CLA for this shutter.

It sounds like a CLA should take care of the problem.

It's odd that Bulb doesn't work properly. That's usually the thing that almost always does work.

Just a guess, but try actuating the viewing lever a few times. That's the black triangular shaped knob/lever that opens the shutter for focusing purposes. Maybe that's not closing completely, and interfering with the normal operation of the shutter. Move that lever back and forth several times, and make sure the shutter is properly opening and closing as the lever is actuated.

This lens isn’t rare so depending on the cost of a CLA I would look into returning it.
    Btw I have one myself (actually a CM-W but potato/potato) and it’s a lovely lens, definitely worth owning.

I bought a 300mm cm-W from a Japanese seller on eBay, the lens looked like new but came with non working slow speeds.
    I went through the trouble of getting it serviced because it’s an expensive and less common lens, plus I had already paid the import duties on it, but the service here in Norway cost me 140usd and I had to battle to get the seller to cover only half of it.
    Now before I buy anything from ebay I ask the seller to test all the speeds. That way I have it in writing that it’s sold as in-working-order.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

I would "exercise" the shutter, fire it about 15 or so times at each speed, open and close the preview a bunch of times as suggested above, and see if it works ok then. Sometimes they just get sticky from lack of use.

If that doesn't fix it, ask your local repair place what they charge to Clean-Lube-Adjust a Copal 0 shutter. See if the seller will rebate you some money towards the repair.

Then compare the total cost of lens and repair to what else is available, and make your choice.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    It's odd that Bulb doesn't work properly. That's usually the thing that almost always does work.

Just a guess, but try actuating the viewing lever a few times. That's the black triangular shaped knob/lever that opens the shutter for focusing purposes. Maybe that's not closing completely, and interfering with the normal operation of the shutter. Move that lever back and forth several times, and make sure the shutter is properly opening and closing as the lever is actuated.
    When I do that, the bulb setting works once and then goes back to sticking when I try it again. It might be an issue of exercising the shutter like other people are saying.