Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lens Cleaner

Re: Lens Cleaner

Necktie?? What's that??...

When I worked in optical assembly we used reagent-grade acetone. But I don't think that's a realistic (or advised) solution here.
    Frankly, I've always used the old Kodak lens cleaner, breath-fog and a very light touch. But generally I have avoided cleaning or even touching any lens element I care about. Mostly I keep them capped/covered and put away. But keeping them put away is contrary to what I really need to be doing!

Drew Wiley

If I need fluid, ROR on a clean 3M microfiber cloth is my choice. If just blowing dust off, my compressed air lines are triple-filtered down to extremely small particulate sizes. And I only use high-grade hoses fully purged of any oil or condensate. It not like filling a tire! The most common scenario demanding cleaning as soon as possible is ocean salt mist or spray. If I need to wait a little while for the ideal moment to activate the shutter after composing the shot, I keep the lens cap on until then. Even the fog is salty here ... and brrrr... it is another cold foggy morning.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    maybe put a couple of drops directly on the lens
    Back in the day, I was told to use the cleaning fluid sparingly and not apply it directly to the glass for fear that some of the fluid might be drawn into the lens body. Instead, I touch the tip of the dropper bottle to the lens paper (I still have a supply of Kodak lens cleaning paper) and let the capillary action draw some of the fluid out into the paper.

I've found, over the years...that all lens tissues are not equal. I'd depended on Kodak paper until it got hard to find. I then tried a few "no name" papers...and all were too "hard," behaving more like paper and less like tissue. Lately I've found the "Sensei" brand to be pretty decent, but as with all things photographic - YMMV!

While I'm of the opinion that a high quality, soft microfiber is at least equal to (probably better than) the "best" tissue in many ways, this only holds true if this cloth is absolutely clean. Not a problem with tissues as they get tossed after a single use.

Drew Wiley

By far the best microfiber cloths I've found are little dimpled ones made by 3M. I'll never ever go back to any kind of lens tissue. At some point, I'll test out the best manner to truly clean and reuse these little cloths. I'm still relying on a personal bulk inventory I acquired before I retired, when we had a direct 3M distributor account. I got them very very reasonably. Unfortunately, the consumer markup on such items in camera stores tends to be stratospheric. 10-packs on Amazon seem reasonable.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 14-Apr-2021 at 15:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    By far the best microfiber cloths I've found are little dimpled ones made by 3M. I'll never ever go back to any kind of lens tissue. At some point, I'll test out the best manner to truly clean and reuse these little cloths. I'm still relying on a personal bulk inventory I acquired before I retired, when we had a direct 3M distributor account. I got them very very reasonably. Unfortunately, the consumer markup on such items in camera stores tends to be stratospheric. 10-packs on Amazon seem reasonable.
    Do you have the 3M Product Number for those? There are a number of different types listed online.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I recently purchased a 80 - 200 Nikkor f2.8D for the F6 which came without a filter. But I had a 72mm B&W UV filter sitting on a shelf for I don't know how long exposed to the dust and elements. I blew it off with an ear blower and put a couple of drops of 91% Isopropyl on a Kodak-like lens tissue and voila it was crystal clear without any residue.

Thomas

I've used Vodka in a pinch.
    It kind of does a number on the coating though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I will give some hard learned advice that may not apply for small amounts used for lens cleaning.

The vapors of any highly volatile cleaning fluid can be absorbed by your eye and change the consistency of the vitreous gel inside. I have had two detached retinas and have since dramatically changed my methods of using such material. I use full ventilations systems, googles, gloves and if possible use it outdoors.

I haven't put a liquid on any of my lenses since I graduated from high school in 1945. I also do not use any "Lens Tissue" because I looked at it under a microscope and it looked too rough.
    I have previously written on this forum at least twice, my method of cleaning, which is in itself rare. I see no need to continue to repeat myself.