Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof marked any better?

Re: Linhof marked any better?

I would be looking at a 5.6. Cant be dealing with low light business. I got a 210 5.6 and it works out perfectly for me. Anything under that and its a no.

But yes. I see your perspective. Why pay more for a marking. I guess I am curious as to if the lens is any different to the same within.

Being new to lt has got me asking a lot of questions here and to myself. Google has been my friend. And generally points me straight back here hhah

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Urban shots / for a book

I know 90 would be ideal as on 120 I have the 65 and the 50 and they work great for me

I am not really going to use filters. In fact never use them. Most of my work is either in studio or a very specific time of day. Not a landscape photographer either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You should be aware that f/5.6 on the ground glass will be vastly different on a 90mm compared to a 210mm. This is because of the angles involved and other differences. There's also the variables of whether or not you have a fresnel.

An f/9 lens on my 8x10 is like looking at a computer monitor compared to an f/5.6 ultrawide on 4x5 which is hopelessly dim.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

On a related note, I was always impressed by manufacturers who included film that was taken with their equipment. A transparency came with my NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX with the camera's serial number marked on the glassine film envelope. I can remember the same came with two other pieces of photo equipment that I purchased probably in the 1980s, I just can't recall what those two pieces of equipment were. Possibly a Swiss Alpa lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Buy literally any 90mm f/8 lens in modern all-black Copal 0 shutter and you'll be fine (or f/6.8 if it's a Rodenstock). Or an f/5.6 or f/4.5 if you absolutely think you need more light for focusing, but understand they are bigger and take 82mm filters (as opposed to 67mm filters on the f/8 models).
    How far back in terms of lens creation date should i go would you suggest? There are silver ring ones which are mint. The all black ones cost a penny more.

Thank you again

I only mention the all-black Copal shutters because I, at least in my limited but not wholly dismissible experience of many dozens of lenses, have found them to be universally in good condition and working within tolerances. Meanwhile, silver-ring Copals are older and several I have had were starting to show signs of needing a CLA, and other shutters like Compurs and the like were almost always in need of service.

So a black-ring Copal may in fact cost less to you, given the very possible need for a service, despite the slightly higher upfront cost. I have at least a dozen all-black Copals that are used regularly and have had nary a hitch in hundreds of sheets of film.

If a silver-ring shutter is advertised as tested and works well and the lens is at a very attractive price, I'd still likely go for it. But most sellers on eBay and such don't know what is working within tolerances. Perhaps check the classifieds here for more educated sellers.

I didn't know there was a classified. I dont see it

You won't see it until you've been a member for a month.

You're able to access it after a month of being registered. If it doesn't show up (it's way down the list of subforums, in the Community area) contact a mod or post in the Feedback section.