Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 74 of 74

Thread: Suggest a 12" (300mm) lens for portrait work on 8x10?

  1. #71
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,653

    Re: Suggest a 12" (300mm) lens for portrait work on 8x10?

    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    I tend to favor a narrower view, and a bit more space between me and my subject, hence I went with the 420mm version of the L, and I like it a lot. Really gentle rendering at wide open and sharp till it hurts when close down to about 22/32.
    Good Covid focal length, I guess. And portrait FL preferences vary quite a lot. I couldn't go longer than 360, but some people like 420, 500 and longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    This is a soft lens. Ari wants a sharp one.
    I had that lens, Andrzej, and liked it, but not my style. Thanks

  2. #72

    Re: Suggest a 12" (300mm) lens for portrait work on 8x10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Good Covid focal length, I guess. And portrait FL preferences vary quite a lot. I couldn't go longer than 360, but some people like 420, 500 and longer.
    Yeah, for a while I was working with the 14" CE and for a head and shoulder(ish) shot I think I was less than 2 meter from the person. With the size of an 810 I felt it was a bit crowding in on the person(not close friend or family). I think that attests to the difference in everyone's personal bubble size.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,141

    Re: Suggest a 12" (300mm) lens for portrait work on 8x10?

    Goes back to that comment about using a 480mm f4.5 Xenar for head-shoulder portraits. Using a 480mm on 8x10 gives enough space between sitter to camera and allows for more lighting options. The look is also different using this focal length for head-shoulder portraits.

    16" or 420mm_ish would be the shortest comfy head-shoulder 8x10 portrait focal length. Experience says, 12" or 300mm is too close for comfort with some portrait sitters. Add to this possible lighting limitations and the look of a 12" or 300mm is just different.

    None of which figures into curiosity of how Ari likes this Fujinion L..



    Bernice



    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Yeah, for a while I was working with the 14" CE and for a head and shoulder(ish) shot I think I was less than 2 meter from the person. With the size of an 810 I felt it was a bit crowding in on the person(not close friend or family). I think that attests to the difference in everyone's personal bubble size.

  4. #74
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,653

    Re: Suggest a 12" (300mm) lens for portrait work on 8x10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Goes back to that comment about using a 480mm f4.5 Xenar for head-shoulder portraits. Using a 480mm on 8x10 gives enough space between sitter to camera and allows for more lighting options. The look is also different using this focal length for head-shoulder portraits.

    16" or 420mm_ish would be the shortest comfy head-shoulder 8x10 portrait focal length. Experience says, 12" or 300mm is too close for comfort with some portrait sitters. Add to this possible lighting limitations and the look of a 12" or 300mm is just different.

    None of which figures into curiosity of how Ari likes this Fujinion L..



    Bernice
    Indeed. To each his/her own.
    And I'll post example shots of the Fuji L 300 asap.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for advice: 8x10 300mm f5.6 Portrait lens
    By formanproject in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 6-Oct-2017, 21:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •