Thread: Greetings from the Bluegrass

Greetings from the Bluegrass

Hello Everyone,

I've joined here to get into large format (of course). I've been into photography for some 35 years or so. It all started as a kid when my Dad let me use his Yashica-C and Kodak Retinette. I learned darkroom work in high school and had a part-time job in college making photos for my school's alumni magazine. When digital came on the scene, I went that way, and today I operate a small business (just me) making photos for home builders, remodelers, and some commercial real estate agents.

My primary passion outside of work is landscape and nature photography. I love big, sweeping landscape images, especially in black and white.

My re-entry into film happened in 2015 when (God bless her!) my wife took me to an exhibition of Vivian Maier's work at the University of Kentucky's Fine Art Gallery. I was blown away; the next day I found a Yashica TLR on Craigslist for $50 and started back into black and white film photography. Since then, I have experimented a lot with 35mm and medium format. Of course I started developing my own film again, and for the past several years I scanned the negatives to make prints. Just recently I was fortunate to be gifted an old Beseler enlarger, so I have started printing in the darkroom as well.

I find myself preferring the depth and feel of an image created with medium format, not mention the resolution. And looking at artists' work in large format, I see even more attractive aspects, so here I am. If I understand it correctly, after 30 days in the forum I will be able to see the classifieds, and maybe by that time I will have figured out which camera and lenses will be right for me (probably 4x5 to get started).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning from everyone here!

Ed
    Lexington, KY USA

Re: Greetings from the Bluegrass

Welcome

I am 300 miles west

and a big fan of Vivian
    Tin Can

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome, Ed!