Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobodrum for prints

Re: Jobodrum for prints

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    As Drew mentioned above, they're fine for B&W RC paper.
    Yes, noted. But what makes them unsuitable for FB processing? Final wash could be done in a washer if thats the problem, no?

Quote Originally Posted by FotoD View Post
    Yes, noted. But what makes them unsuitable for FB processing?
    Biggest problems are in two areas, both consequences of the relative flexibility and fragility of FB paper when it's wet:

* More susceptible to uneven development because of ribs in the walls of the drum - of course, drum designs vary in this respect.
    * More susceptible to damage in handling, especially getting the print out of the drum.

You might be able to make it work. Just be prepared for the possibility that you'll need to do a lot of expensive testing to find a combination of drum model and handling procedures that works for you.

With a JOBO 3062 (2 sheets FB 11x14) I had mixed results. Using JOBO clips produced uneven development every now and then. Without the clips I have had one sheet unseat itself a number of times. Using a very thin metal flat rod it was very easy to release the paper with the drum in vertical position and filled with water.

With a JOBO 3005 (5 sheets 8x10) I did get even development but releasing the paper was very difficult with SW paper. DW paper was easier to release.

I gave up on the idea finally.

But many years ago a friend used these same drums for processing DW FB paper and he got consistent repeatable results which was why he processed in drums rather than in trays. I don't recall him ever mentioning that he had problems removing the wet FB paper.

I have to think that personal technique is the major factor.