Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Many Pros use LF?

Re: How Many Pros use LF?

I'm in the process of getting a photography business up and running currently. I've been a serious amateur for several years now. Im currently a college student and I've been interested in getting some of my work up in galleries around town(Albuquerque), but with no lucky. Sold some prints here and there but nothing major or consistent. I was at a reception to an exhibition in October and I was talking to the artist whose work was being shown. Some how we got onto the subject of fine art print making of his work. He said that he had 2 different photographers shoot and print his work, but he wasn't impressed. While he could sell his originals, he was interested in having some of his commissioned murals shot. The previous photographers didn't have the resolution to capture the fine detail of the mural. I told him that I can get at least 500mp out of a 4x5 slide.

I shot the mural, got the film developed, scanned, and made some prints for him. I did minimal editing to the scan, just fixed the white point and contrast. The color was dead on and he was impressed. I've been regularly shooting his work, I've also managed to get 2 other clients since then, that both have at least a dozen pieces that they want shot and prints made after I get off of holiday. There seems a very high demand from artists for this service in the area. 4x5 slide film is perfect for the job since the colors seem to get the colors and tones right without color correction or calibration.

I'd like to start doing this full time, but I lack a large format digital printer and good scanning system. As well as a studio space, and other odds and ends.

As opposed to those who use digital professionally and keep LF a pursuit of enthusiastic leisure. I look forward to ensuring data.
    Last edited by Yuhag; 6-Sep-2023 at 02:53. Reason: more info

wheathins,

May I suggest having a backup job, just in case you need it.

Some advice:

Find someone who could help you with your photography, be your coach and mentor.

Do you have a business plan?

This gent was my coach and mentor:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Zucker

Good luck.

From my experience: zero.

I was active with the PPA affiliate here in Minneapolis and never saw a pro photographer using large format equipment.

Pro photographers are all digital for various reasons.

Cell phones are great cameras

I seldom use as telephone

But always have a small iPhone in my ex-cig pocket

Lately as my sight fails I prefer my iPad 6 as it is nearlly exactly 4x5

and is an excellent copy camera on Leitz 35 enlarger, as it converts to copy
    Tin Can

In addition to myself, my friends Michael Strickland and Alex Burke also earn their livings from large format photography. There are still plenty of us out there. Landscapes are still one of the areas where large format shines.

Thank you Ben, I know not everybody has gone DIGI

Ben, I really wish your early ULF of people was avaiable

It is wonderful work of a lost era

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    In addition to myself, my friends Michael Strickland and Alex Burke also earn their livings from large format photography. There are still plenty of us out there. Landscapes are still one of the areas where large format shines.
    Tin Can

Been using LF, MF and smaller all my pro life working first in press then some corporate. Photo assistant in 1986, then press agency member in 1992.
    Had to go digital for a short time, hated how the business changed. Did quit to be a full time artist doing only what I want and love.
    You have to pay the price. Not an easy life, not for everyone, but the only way to go for me.
    Lost a wife. They dont like rollercoasters.
    Lost a house. Shit happens.
    That never stopped me shooting.
    Today prints sales are good, books are published almost every years. That will stop one day or not. You never know. But you carry on.