Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Lens cells

Swapping Lens cells

Hello all. Got a tricky one that would be keen to hear peoples thoughts.

So, I have a Schneider Apo-Symmar-L 150mm f/5.6 on a linhof comfort board.
    I have just bought a Rodenstock APO Sironar S 150mm f 5.6.

Would you
    A. just swap lens cells
    B. Send to Linhof to get them to do the swap. They suggest I should do that to be sure the lens is set up correctly.

Anything I should be aware of?

*Note: The copal shutter in the original Schneider Apo-Symmar-L 150mm f/5.6 is the newer version ( has click stops) so ideally I like to keep that shutter.

Thoughts?

Re: Swapping Lens cells

Shutters are pretty standard, and I both lenses fit a #0. Just unscrew both lenses cells and put the Sironar cells in the shutter on the Linhof board. If there are shims between the Sironar cells and their shutter, transfer them with the cells. If there are shims betwee the Symmar cells and their shutter, remove and keep with the cells.

The spacing Should be the same on like number shutters, but take out the lens that you don’t want to use and put it aside. Measure the total length of the lens that you Do want to use. Unscrew the cells and put them into the shutter that you want to use and measure the total length. If it measures the same then you are good to go. If there were any spacer rings they should be used in the same place on the “new” shutter. Since you are using the same focal length lens with the same maximum f-stop, the scale should also work.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If you're really worried, you can compare whether the two front cells have the same focal length, as a change in magnification would change the entrance pupil size and shift the aperture scale slightly. But I wouldn't expect much difference, let alone enough to matter.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks to everyone that was a great help. All good ideas to check - brilliant forum

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    If you're really worried, you can compare whether the two front cells have the same focal length, as a change in magnification would change the entrance pupil size and shift the aperture scale slightly. But I wouldn't expect much difference, let alone enough to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Why on earth would the OP want to swap a Sironar's front cell with a Symmar's front cell?

Dan, I think you've missed the gist of the post! you might want to read the original post from the beginning. I was garnering advice about swapping the whole lens onto a comfort board.

Quote Originally Posted by croppitt View Post
    Dan, I think you've missed the gist of the post! you might want to read the original post from the beginning. I was garnering advice about swapping the whole lens onto a comfort board.
    You have a short memory. Please see post #2 above. I was replying to post #4 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You have a short memory. Please see post #2 above. I was replying to post #4 above.
    Hi Dan, Sorry, I just don't understand. Could you explain. No idea what bit you think is the wrong approach. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I am no expert.

What is a "Linhof comfort board"? Never heard that term...