Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

As previously posted, there is no "best" camera. Only a camera that meets the image goals of the image maker... which is driven and determined by a long list of needs, factors and more..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    As previously posted, there is no "best" camera. Only a camera that meets the image goals of the image maker... which is driven and determined by a long list of needs, factors and more..Bernice
    Which is exactly the OP's intention...to have people write of their long list of needs, factors and more, when it comes to a 5x7 that fits them and their needs. It should be taken for granted that few people would share the same list.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I could have bought a lovely Dorff 4x5/5x7 Special reasonably many years ago, but was glad I invested in the Sinar system instead, for around the same price - way more versatile.

Yes Sinars are cool.....I just couldn't see lugging one around the mountains, no matter how versatile. Not only tastes, but needs differ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	339277_10150486918661958_635501419_o.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	214962

Drew Wiley

Well, I had a Sinar in the pack the first overnight crosscountry ski trip I ever took - as a lousy beginner skier! Good thing snow makes for soft landings! It didn't take me long to learn that snowshoes are a better idea, at least for me.

There is no better 5x7 camera, there is the 5x7 camera that you like more than the others. I bought 3 linhof 5x7 and never dreamed of buying 3 5x7 cameras from other brands.

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	214965

Depends. Sometimes...this is best:
    (have modified one of these to 5x7)

Name:	L-45A.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	214967

And other times...this is best:

Name:	Minimalist 5x7 #2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	214968

OK, how many different 5X7 do we have?

Tin Can

The Chamonix 57 N3 seems like a fine field camera, well designed and light. But it's horizontal only. I wonder if anyone here has worked with it, or a similar camera. Would tilting the whole camera 90 deg. to shoot vertical frames be a pain in the long run, if you work in that orientation say 1/3 of the time?

My two cents. I think that the best camera of whatever format is the one that you have or can afford. Make negatives with it for a time and if it works for your needs, use it. If you find yourself always wanting to do something that the camera will not do, change it or replace it. So..are All 5x7 cameras “Best” in the right hands?

Linhof Technikas are undeniably wonderful...but if more than one 5x7...then (if needing the "best") they should be different to meet different needs - otherwise, that's just a collection (IMHO).

Too bad there is no 5x7 Technikardan...which would at least allow sticking to your favorite brand while adding something complimentary!

(Ha! Must be getting crotchety/opinionated in my old age!)