Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

[QUOTE=John Earley;1595574]Although I would love a Canham or Chamonix I settled on a like new B&J Commercial View 5x7. It has a 21in bellows, full movements and under 8lbs. I added a lens board converter for Linhoff boards.

A 5x7 B&J like yours was my favorite LF camera for decades. It is in no way the very best, nor perhaps near the best, but it was always good enough. That big easy-to-make lensboard was a great advantage over some otherwise fine cameras with tiny Linhoff boards. The B&J was always expendable and replaceable, leaving me to worry about the picture, not the camera.

Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    Off-topic but why is all of the film rebate text backwards? I mean the "Kodak Safety Film" is inverted, but the image and notch code is correct - did they used to print the emulsion name inverted? Or I should say, printed correctly when viewed emulsion side, which is then inverted in the print...

Also, I dislike the faux-HDR applied to these images in editing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I was born that year, and don't recall the style/decor very well, but I have seen nearly every scene, shop, furniture, taverns etc IRL up until recently. Yes, matching uniforms are now rare. I had chairs just like the shoe store recently, the machine shop with crankshafts standing on end, I have been in similar as mechanic.

However most is already gone, the Plague has demolished old time business.

I suggest stopping at any building that has a sign 'Supper Club' particularly upper midwest. When I vacation I just wander old roads, when I find a Supper Club about 2 pm, I stop and ask to see the menu, then ask where is the closest motel! I never eat near a Hotel. I get a cheap room early, and eat very well. Then on the road by 10 am for 4 more hours of back roads. Buy gas at the oldest looking gas station. Talk to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Off-topic but why is all of the film rebate text backwards? I mean the "Kodak Safety Film" is inverted, but the image and notch code is correct - did they used to print the emulsion name inverted? Or I should say, printed correctly when viewed emulsion side, which is then inverted in the print...

Also, I dislike the faux-HDR applied to these images in editing.
    Tin Can

Eric Biggerstaff

My 5X7 Deardorf Special (comes with a 4X5 back as well), classic, sturdy and has all the bellows I need, a wonderful tool.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Having seen Eric's Deardorf Special and his results from it, I would have to say that it is one extremely beautiful camera and capable of amazing work. Personally I have 2 5x7s. My first is a Conley circa 1910 which got me (and Eric) hooked on 5x7. My second is a Rittreck which has more features and a slew of backs but I mostly use the native 5x7 and the whole plate ones.

"Best" cvamera?

I have always rthought that the best camera to shoot with was the one you have when shooting.

I mean . . .what is the "best" car to own? Fastest? Cheapest. Most long-lived? Can carry my wife, six kids and a dog?

Keeping it large format: I think a TravelWide or WillTravel could be packed up a cliff face for a few shots while a Linhoff Technika (any model) would be a less desirable choice.

I had a B&J 5x7 for a while and it was good to have then. It had about every movement but it was heavy and clunky. I only used it with a 4x5 back . . .now have a cute little Wista 45DX.

No such thing as a "best" camera in my opinion.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew Wiley

Best flavor of ice cream? Hard to tell unless you taste them all. And tastes differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    tastes differ.
    I look at cameras like guitars or cars. Some just feel right, and that contributes to their ease of use. I don't think you can design for personal preference. To me that tactile interface is important. I had several Canhams & an Ebony. Beautiful cameras, but the one that just felt right and stuck with me was an old Deardorff.

Drew Wiley

I could have bought a lovely Dorff 4x5/5x7 Special reasonably many years ago, but was glad I invested in the Sinar system instead, for around the same price - way more versatile.