Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

I have a Linhof Tech III 5x7. Heavy, but it is the smoothest operating LF camera I’ve used. I stripped it down to bare metal and hope one day to have it re-covered in leather.

The Linhof are Amazing in so many ways, when you want a camera on the lighter side they are nor for you but when you dont care about weight it dosnt get better

Although I would love a Canham or Chamonix I settled on a like new B&J Commercial View 5x7. It has a 21in bellows, full movements and under 8lbs. I added a lens board converter for Linhoff boards.

B&J 5x7 Commercial View Camera
    by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Speed Graphic for handheld work with a 203mm Ektar on the snout.
    An Agfa Ansco for tripod work with either a 159mm Wolly WA, 215mm Ilex or 14" Artar up front.
    I'd love to get a Nagaoka someday----probably wishful thinking at this stage of the game though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

In my opinion there is no better 5x7 than my pre-1939 Deardorff. Sturdy, long bellows, great movements, fast to set up and dependable for the last 60+ years. During that time I have owned and used at least 6 other 5x7's, but this one is still with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    The Canham Metal Cameras are great! How do you like the Motorized 6x17 back ?
    The Canham motorized 6x17 back is a great piece of engineering - and the best rollfilm back I've worked with. It does take some practice to get the hang of loading the film, but after that it's just wonderful. Plus it looks pretty badass on the back of the Canham 5x7 MQC...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150509_3215a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	214769

Just ask Charles and Irene
    https://www.okmorephotos.com/backtothepast
    more:
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/4/...icana-obituary

Yeah, these were taken with a 5x7.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Small town, South Carolina, US

Thank's John Kasaian!

Recently purchased a lightly used Shen-Hao 5X7 [TFC57-B] that has more movements than I'll ever use. I had been using 8X10 cameras [KMV & B&J] with 5X7 reducing backs; but getting too old to carry them into the field. So, enjoying the lighter weight.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I'll echo what a couple others have said: "Best doesn't exist"
    A heavy studio camera will be poorly suited to hiking, a lightweight field camera may not be versatile enough for the studio. Do you like to use wide or very wide lenses or long or very long lenses, or need long bellows for lots of close up work? These kinds of needs will be better served by one camera over another.

Identify what you THINK you'd like to do, and try to find the right tool, er, Camera, for THAT.

"You don't go dancing in hiking shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    Inspired by a recent Thread: What is the "best" 5x7 Camera in your opinion and why do you prefer the camera over a different one? It would be also great to hear what you don't like about other cameras and why you decided against them.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com