Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

the "best" 5x7 Camera

Inspired by a recent Thread: What is the "best" 5x7 Camera in your opinion and why do you prefer the camera over a different one? It would be also great to hear what you don't like about other cameras and why you decided against them.

Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Can't find what I want -- almost, though.

Non-folding, bellows draw of ~300mm, back tilt, full front movements, horizontal and vertical capabilities. Except for the front movements, my present 110 year old 5x7 fits the bill and is doing great...and not worth replacing until I find that 'perfect' camera.

Eastman View No.2 --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg   EV2_5x7b.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Korona View Camera, I have a complete kit in the OE suitcase, I would grab that on the road to perdition, wood for the fire

Mit plate and film holders, 2 backs, the lens board has a Packard mounted inside

Not an eBay find, it is as nice as the one in the link, with more bits

Studio is different and I have dif
    Tin Can

Its probably hard to get everything we want in one package but almost is often more then good enough!
    Why do you prefer non-folding over folding ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Can't find what I want -- almost, though.

Non-folding, bellows draw of ~300mm, back tilt, full front movements, horizontal and vertical capabilities. Except for the front movements, my present 110 year old 5x7 fits the bill and is doing great...and not worth replacing until I find that 'perfect' camera.

Eastman View No.2 --

I've got the same type of Eastman View as Vaughn. I like it because it's reliable, durable and sturdy. Also, not terribly expensive and a lot lighter than my 8x10.
    I agree the one thing I'd improve is to add front tilt.
    It does one thing very well - exposes 5x7 film and plates, and that's all I need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_View_No2_01.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	214611
    Last edited by jim_jm; 6-Apr-2021 at 12:32. Reason: photo

If I had more $$$ I would buy this with both formats and new holders, same MFG

BUT I don't NEED anything more

so it goes
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    Its probably hard to get everything we want in one package but almost is often more then good enough!
    Why do you prefer non-folding over folding ?
    Lens can stay on the camera, quick set-up, the way they mount to the tripod lends itself to be carried over the shoulder (folders do not, as they are a square perpendicular to the orientation of the tripod legs). package size is about the same. A selling point of my present set-up is the moving block under the rails. I am not using long lenses and not needing/having the back extension, it centers the weight over the tripod and totally stiffens the hinge between the back and the front rail.

I see jim has one, also. Alas TC, that would be the 'perfect' camera if it also went vertical with 5x7. I am in under the redwood trees. I do have horizontal images, but a lot cries out for the vertical!

5x7, 180mm, platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hutchins_DolosonGroveRedCr.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Would you buy a vertical only camera ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Lens can stay on the camera, quick set-up, the way they mount to the tripod lends itself to be carried over the shoulder (folders do not, as they are a square perpendicular to the orientation of the tripod legs). package size is about the same. A selling point of my present set-up is the moving block under the rails. I am not using long lenses and not needing/having the back extension, it centers the weight over the tripod and totally stiffens the hinge between the back and the front rail.

I see jim has one, also. Alas TC, that would be the 'perfect' camera if it also went vertical with 5x7. I am in under the redwood trees. I do have horizontal images, but a lot cries out for the vertical!

5x7, 180mm, platinum/palladium print

Canham MQC57 (or Canham traditional wood): 24" bellows but can be used easily with a 90mm SA XL or not as easily with a 72mm SA XL. At about 6 lbs. its weight is quite reasonable.

Collapse the standards together, cover with a bag, and you don't have to fold it while carrying it around.

Jeff Keller

Location matters

I expect soon I will be limited to my 1/2 acre, horizontal will suffice

Studio is different, I started LF in wheelchair...but not needed it for years now..I still have it close at hand...JIC

I remember many late nights chatting on LF with a guy who only shot 'around the house'

His images were always interesting, he deleted them all when he left for whatever reason

Mr Blatt, just start, don't think or reason
    Tin Can