Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: the "best" 5x7 Camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    48

    the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Inspired by a recent Thread: What is the "best" 5x7 Camera in your opinion and why do you prefer the camera over a different one? It would be also great to hear what you don't like about other cameras and why you decided against them.

  2. #2
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    8,311

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Can't find what I want -- almost, though.

    Non-folding, bellows draw of ~300mm, back tilt, full front movements, horizontal and vertical capabilities. Except for the front movements, my present 110 year old 5x7 fits the bill and is doing great...and not worth replacing until I find that 'perfect' camera.

    Eastman View No.2 --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg   EV2_5x7b.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    48

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Its probably hard to get everything we want in one package but almost is often more then good enough!
    Why do you prefer non-folding over folding ?



    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Can't find what I want -- almost, though.

    Non-folding, bellows draw of ~300mm, back tilt, full front movements, horizontal and vertical capabilities. Except for the front movements, my present 110 year old 5x7 fits the bill and is doing great...and not worth replacing until I find that 'perfect' camera.

    Eastman View No.2 --

  4. #4
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    8,311

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    Its probably hard to get everything we want in one package but almost is often more then good enough!
    Why do you prefer non-folding over folding ?
    Lens can stay on the camera, quick set-up, the way they mount to the tripod lends itself to be carried over the shoulder (folders do not, as they are a square perpendicular to the orientation of the tripod legs). package size is about the same. A selling point of my present set-up is the moving block under the rails. I am not using long lenses and not needing/having the back extension, it centers the weight over the tripod and totally stiffens the hinge between the back and the front rail.

    I see jim has one, also. Alas TC, that would be the 'perfect' camera if it also went vertical with 5x7. I am in under the redwood trees. I do have horizontal images, but a lot cries out for the vertical!

    5x7, 180mm, platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hutchins_DolosonGroveRedCr.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    48

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Would you buy a vertical only camera ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Lens can stay on the camera, quick set-up, the way they mount to the tripod lends itself to be carried over the shoulder (folders do not, as they are a square perpendicular to the orientation of the tripod legs). package size is about the same. A selling point of my present set-up is the moving block under the rails. I am not using long lenses and not needing/having the back extension, it centers the weight over the tripod and totally stiffens the hinge between the back and the front rail.

    I see jim has one, also. Alas TC, that would be the 'perfect' camera if it also went vertical with 5x7. I am in under the redwood trees. I do have horizontal images, but a lot cries out for the vertical!

    5x7, 180mm, platinum/palladium print

  6. #6
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    8,311

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by BLATT LAB View Post
    Would you buy a vertical only camera ?
    No -- I am not always in the woods! I do have a 4x5 that is either one or the other -- but because it is difficult to change (undoing screws and stuff that can get lost in the field), it is easier just to turn the camera 90 degrees with the head for the other orientation. I usually have it set up for vertical as the default. The camera only weighs a couple pounds, so no strain on the pod/head.

    Edit

    As you mentioned, it is a personal thing. I have a Sinar 5x7 I have not used and have no intention of using it. Too 'fiddly' for my personality. Too many bits and pieces. Bellows have holes in the corners, too, but so it goes. I believe the 5x7 back is a home-made job.

    The Eastman View No.2 is a sweet, light, beastie that is also quite a beautifully made tool. It takes a different mind-set than mine to consider a Sinar to be beautiful.

    Zion National Park
    5x7, using the the 210mm, I think...forgot to write that down. Platinum print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScoutsLookout.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  7. #7
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,578

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    OK, how many different 5X7 do we have?

    5
    2022

  8. #8
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,578

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    Korona View Camera, I have a complete kit in the OE suitcase, I would grab that on the road to perdition, wood for the fire

    Mit plate and film holders, 2 backs, the lens board has a Packard mounted inside

    Not an eBay find, it is as nice as the one in the link, with more bits

    Studio is different and I have dif
    2022

  9. #9
    jim_jm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    97

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    I've got the same type of Eastman View as Vaughn. I like it because it's reliable, durable and sturdy. Also, not terribly expensive and a lot lighter than my 8x10.
    I agree the one thing I'd improve is to add front tilt.
    It does one thing very well - exposes 5x7 film and plates, and that's all I need.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_View_No2_01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	214611
    Last edited by jim_jm; 6-Apr-2021 at 12:32. Reason: photo

  10. #10
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16,578

    Re: the "best" 5x7 Camera

    If I had more $$$ I would buy this with both formats and new holders, same MFG

    BUT I don't NEED anything more

    so it goes
    2022

Similar Threads

  1. "Vases. East and West." --- 12"x16" in-camera ilfochromes
    By Marco Annaratone in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2015, 17:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •