Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Popular Photogenic Sites/Locations in Yosemite NP

Re: Popular Photogenic Sites/Locations in Yosemite NP

Good to hear you had a great time in Yosemite...and a nice amount of water. Glad you could spend some time there and get a variety of experiences. Years past I have found the week before Memorial weekend a good week for the Valley. Use patterns have changed with Covid. I stuck around for the Mem. weekend one year...a year they had to stop cars from coming in as there were no parking places left in the Valley. The road to Glacier Point was not yet open and everyone was trapped in the Valley, circling like hawks looking for a kill. I was with a friend backpacking from the Wawona Tunnel to Glacier Point along the rim of the Valley...looking down at the lines of traffic far below, but no one around us for a few days.

When people look at my GG, I usually have to tell them to look at the glass like a computer screen, rather than putting their eye right up to the glass (like binoculars or something). Or what is easier for them, is to show them the faint image on the GG before putting the darkcloth over their heads. That way, their eyes are already semi-focused on the image on the GG.

Enjoy working with all the new negatives!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Good that you went when you did. The falls are likely to dry up completely later in summer. The Sierras are not in quite the extreme level of drought as the San Joaquin Valley below or here on the coast, but it's still way off normal snowfall levels, at least when there was a "normal" to compare with.

The 1st time I visited Yosemite with a LF camera I had 100 loaded film holders and exposed them all. Once home I processed and proofed them. Soon after I threw all of them away. I had wasted al of my film trying to reproduce the images I had seen in books and exhibitions. There were none that were purely my vision.
    I have been there many times since during all seasons and made a fair number of images with which I am pleased.
    The moral is - Ignore the advice and images of others. Go and see, i mean really see, not just look, and you will get home with some nice images.

The heat/water disaster should be LF documented

by people who live there

and post

please
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've been working with the Black Oaks in Yosemite Valley for years. Some people have asked me "where did you take that?" When I tell them Yosemite they say no way! Get away from the iconic spots, images are everywhere.

Had a sandwich there for a lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Did you get to try the pizza at Degnan's Loft?

Yosemite started to require a permit on May 21 and wanted to reduce visitor numbers by half from 4 millions to 2 millions a year. We were worried about parking and traveling inside Yosemite, but it was manageable before Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Good to hear you had a great time in Yosemite...and a nice amount of water. Glad you could spend some time there and get a variety of experiences. Years past I have found the week before Memorial weekend a good week for the Valley. Use patterns have changed with Covid. I stuck around for the Mem. weekend one year...a year they had to stop cars from coming in as there were no parking places left in the Valley. The road to Glacier Point was not yet open and everyone was trapped in the Valley, circling like hawks looking for a kill. I was with a friend backpacking from the Wawona Tunnel to Glacier Point along the rim of the Valley...looking down at the lines of traffic far below, but no one around us for a few days.

When people look at my GG, I usually have to tell them to look at the glass like a computer screen, rather than putting their eye right up to the glass (like binoculars or something). Or what is easier for them, is to show them the faint image on the GG before putting the darkcloth over their heads. That way, their eyes are already semi-focused on the image on the GG.

Enjoy working with all the new negatives!

We saw a lot of water running from Vernal, Nevada and Yosemite falls

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Good that you went when you did. The falls are likely to dry up completely later in summer. The Sierras are not in quite the extreme level of drought as the San Joaquin Valley below or here on the coast, but it's still way off normal snowfall levels, at least when there was a "normal" to compare with.

I agree, there are pictures everywhere in Yosemite. You need "go and see", and take your own photos, not following someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The 1st time I visited Yosemite with a LF camera I had 100 loaded film holders and exposed them all. Once home I processed and proofed them. Soon after I threw all of them away. I had wasted al of my film trying to reproduce the images I had seen in books and exhibitions. There were none that were purely my vision.
    I have been there many times since during all seasons and made a fair number of images with which I am pleased.
    The moral is - Ignore the advice and images of others. Go and see, i mean really see, not just look, and you will get home with some nice images.

I like your images taken from Yosemite Valley!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I've been working with the Black Oaks in Yosemite Valley for years. Some people have asked me "where did you take that?" When I tell them Yosemite they say no way! Get away from the iconic spots, images are everywhere.