Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscape 5x7: Chamonix 57N3 or 45H-1 ?

Landscape 5x7: Chamonix 57N3 or 45H-1 ?

I want to take the next step upwards coming from an Intrepid 4x5 Mark II: My goal is to combine a more precise instrument with the option for higher image quality with existing lenses (Grandagon-N 90 4.5, Apo-Sironar S 150, Apo-Sironar S 210). I‘m 99% doing landscape photography and shoot 80% in landscape orientation. The new camera should combine stability and precision with acceptable weight for hiking trips.

Going through the portfolios of the known companies especially the Chamonix 57N3 (together with an additional 4x5 back) seems to fulfill most of the criteria. Another option could be the 45H-1 with an optional 5x7 back. Both configurations should allow 5x7 landscape and 4x5 landscape&portrait orientation. Any opinions on pros and cons for both options? Any other models I missed? Many thanks in advance.

Re: Landscape 5x7: Chamonix 57N3 or 45H-1 ?

If you're going to stay with that lens kit, it might be worth looking into the Walker Titan XL--probably a bit bulkier/heavier than the Chamonix options, but it has a good reputation as a rugged, stable platform. Otherwise, I'll be interested in seeing your reviews of whatever system you end up with.

Photographer

The Chamonix H-1 with 5x7 back is landscape only unless you turn the camera 90 degrees.
    Keith Pitman

I love my 57N. Just used it on a shoot last week. Very sturdy and light weight to boot.

Plan on upgrading the stock ground glass, otherwise it's a stellar camera. The 4x5 reduction back is very nice too, in that it rotates. In fact, I recommend the 57N as a standard 4x5 camera for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    The Chamonix H-1 with 5x7 back is landscape only unless you turn the camera 90 degrees.
    That is what has kept me from desiring one!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is what has kept me from desiring one!
    Same holds true for the 57N3...

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    If you're going to stay with that lens kit, it might be worth looking into the Walker Titan XL--probably a bit bulkier/heavier than the Chamonix options, but it has a good reputation as a rugged, stable platform. Otherwise, I'll be interested in seeing your reviews of whatever system you end up with.
    The Walker seems to be an interesting alternative. There is no back movement at all, but for my purpose this might be fine. What about the back rotation? Can be switched between portrait and landscape view?

The Canham 5x7 MQC is an excellent camera too - very adjustable, portable and adaptable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mqcside.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	214589

https://www.canhamcameras.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tom43 View Post
    What about the back rotation? Can be switched between portrait and landscape view?
    That wouldn't be a problem--there's also a 4x5 reducing back, and many folks put the Canham 6x17 RFB on the 5x7 Graflock as well. For myself, the only reason I don't currently own one is its 320mm bellows draw--I'd definitely want a few more seasons shooting 5x7 before I'd be comfortable to committing to it as my main option. At any rate, I don't think you could go wrong with any the cameras mentioned--it's a great format, especially if you're rolling with a hybrid approach.

Andrej Gregov

Take care going with a horizontal only camera if it’s to become your primary. Also, note the Chamomix 57h does not have enough bellows draw for a 450 (non tele). Personally, I like having the ability to go to a 90mm (35 equivalent) focal length for 57 landscape. You might also consider a Deardorff (special), a 57 that comes with a 45 reducing back. Quite light.