Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable release

Cable release

As usual, I have lost another cable release.
    Now it seems I can’t find my usual brand Kaiser, a soft cable. The one I have now from Hama and is not good, to short and gives me camera shake.

There are people from The Netherlands and Belgium so where can I find a good cable release ?

Thanks
    Patrick

Re: Cable release

http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/ In Germany. Excellent quality!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Put some red electrical tape on them for at least 4-5 inches (10-12cm) . Makes them easier to find if you drop them in a forest . Assumes you realized you dropped it and go back for it.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

This makes me realize just how precious my cable release is. I should probably put a flag on it so that it always stands out. (That's not a bad idea. Actually, "flag" to mean a highly visible marker and probably not Old Glory nor the Union Jack!).
    I have some neon yellow duct tape that should probably do nicely... Just wrap a piece around the top near the plunger release and leave it to billow in the wind, never to be lost in the grass again!
    I think mine was made by Gitzo. I don't know why I think that as I'm not sure that name is emblazoned anywhere on it. And I can't say for sure if I've ever seen another. But I think I have seen one advertised somewhere..at sometime...in the byways of my mind.
    Anyway, great cable release. And with a long throw, too. It handles Ilex 5 shutters with aplomb.

Careful with your stuff, and always scout out location before leaving site... Put things where they belong (not just in a pocket where stuff can fall out) in a way you can do a quick visual inventory... Count the # of bags or cases while unloading, and keep counting the # of bags as the day/night wears on...

(Formally) common stuff is not so common now, so you might not be able to replace your favorite cable release etc if you tried...

Living in NYC centuries ago, heard plenty of horror stories of people leaving stuff in cabs, restaurants etc, and etched in my brain whenever getting up, stop and look where you were sitting and spend at least 3 seconds studying where you were before walking away... (In NYC, once visited studio of photog Bob Gruen, and my wallet fell out of my floppy pants while sitting, and had to call if my wallet was there... He found it, but said "no money, no credit cards, what kind of guy are you?" Embarrassed... :-(

Steve K

When I first started using large format outside I would shed parts and accessories like mad. Part of that was due to me being somewhat disorganized, partly it was due to not having the proper storage. Lots of stuff just jammed into my pockets. As Ive gotten more experienced over the years I now am a bit obsessed with not losing anything so I now have organized storage of everything.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    When I first started using large format outside I would shed parts and accessories like mad. Part of that was due to me being somewhat disorganized, partly it was due to not having the proper storage. Lots of stuff just jammed into my pockets. As Ive gotten more experienced over the years I now am a bit obsessed with not losing anything so I now have organized storage of everything.
    I had similar experiences until I got a photographer’s vest, in which all my essential accessories related to taking LF photos in the field all have their place and are close at hand.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I leave a cable release on each lens permanently...wrapping it around the front element for storage. This way, I won't lose it...plus I'm not constantly installing/removing it, so am minimizing wear on threads.

I like a soft release, twenty(ish) inches in length...and have ultimately settled on the Pentax brand releases as these seem a bit more reliable than other soft releases I've tried. A bit more expensive initially perhaps, but seeing as how many other "bargain" brand releases I'd gone through prior to discovering the Pentax ones...its clear to me that the investment is more than worth it - also considering how a number of those earlier release failures had occurred during a setup and jeopardized the taking of a photo...in some cases requiring me to finger-push the release lever - not good! Plus (there's more!)...there were even several occasions when a backup release also failed at the same time!

Like they say...don't be penny-wise and pound foolish!

Redundancy is a good thing
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Cable releases wear out, as do the little threaded sockets on the shutters themselves. I alway carry spare cables, and keep others in reserve. Finding good ones is difficult; but I snatch em up when they do turn up.