Thread: Poor Man's 35 mm DSLR scanner

Poor Man's 35 mm DSLR scanner

My previous posts covered inexpensive solutions to DSLR scanning 4x5 and 8x10 film or print file pages. I built my 35 setup years ago but recently refined it. Earlier version include a bellows and 105 micro lens. The current set up is more comfortable and less expensive for someone else to copy. I, like many others, have kept my older lenses. The Nikkor 55mm. f=2.8 Micro when coupled with a PK-13 mm. Auto Extension Ring will give the lens 1:1 capability. The PN-11 for the 105mm f=4 combo does the same. The 105 has a locking screw on the focus ring. I tested the 40 mm AF-S lens as well. The results were great in each category. I chose the 55mm lens setup mostly for reasons of personal comfort (no back strain). It also frees up the 40mm. for the other setup. I bought the Auto ext. rings from Robert's Camera in Indiana. The 55mm is probably Nikon's most sold lens. My setup has a D-90 dedicated to it, which has a MC-DC2 cable release, AC power and USB to camera. The top of light source has an appropriate size hole, for the negative carrier to fit in. My previous Omega C-760 enlarger's negative carriers are all back in use again. Using the top plate with the carriers drop in, allows me to switch negatives quickly and when I check in the viewfinder, it's still in focus.
    I like using digital bodies on older glass lenses. Even though the camera is set to manual focus, the focus assist feature is fantastic. My viewfinder magnifier is back in it's box. Making it and testing it, is fun. Using it, is work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35 setup.jpg  

Re: Poor Man's 35 mm DSLR scanner

Great job!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Nice!

-Joshua

That is a great idea. Is that a Dichroic color head? If so what do you put the Cyan, Magneta, Yellow settings on when DSLR scanning?

These are subtractive filters. Using them lessens the amount of light. Usually, when scanning, you want as much light as you can get. So, unless one has a really good reason, it's better to use unfiltered light.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Normally I start without filtration. However there are certain color negatives that yield better results with 35Y + 35C. On 120 film 15M+75C. B/W film 13Y 63C. Because of the color coupler mask and C-41 process variations, two old Kodacolor negatives don't print equal. Vericolor will require another setting. There are problem color negatives which indicate color shifts, when shot without filtration which are improved with additional filtration. To yield more neutral color balance. I tried both RGB color and CMYK color settings.
    There are many different ways to test. Small increment changes make a difference more so than C printing. Mostly, with zero filtration yield acceptable results. Good old Photoshop does the rest. My setup is tethered to my computer (six feet apart) Most LF readers are more computer savvy than I. Photoshop 7, XP, Lightroom 3 works fine for me. This system is simple and fun to use, and am still learning new things everyday. Have fun. bk

A Copy camera setup. Just digital but basically the same stuff we have been doing for decades.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.