Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just 3D printed a technika board

Re: Just 3D printed a technika board

@ Andy

The flange itself adds a lot of strength to the board. By the way, my next project is to print a back for my 5 X 7 Linhof Kardan Bi. I've lost track of my 5 x 7 to 4 x 5 reducing back so just for fun I thought I'd try to print one - I'd have to make it in two pieces due to the size. I have a couple of 4 x 5 Technika backs floating around here so all I need is the square plate and light trap.

By the way I found some information that looks like the ECO-ABS starts to soften in the 60 - 65 C range so it should be OK for normal use - unless you live in Death Valley

Good question, Peter. The short (and long) answer is that I don't know. Hygroscopicity is a known issue with Polylactic acid as is relative intolerance to extended exposure to high temperatures. (I live in Southern AZ so this is something of a practical concern.) It won't be long until I can test the parts - we usually have our 1st 100 degree day by mid-May. I'll soon know how well it retains its shape in the back of my car outdoors. I've measured temperatures in the car of 122 degrees when parked and maybe even a bit more anecdotally - I've heard of 130 -140 degrees in parked cars in Phoenix which tends to be a few degrees less "chilly" than Tucson.

The PLA I'm using ios called Eco-ABS so it's a modified PLA, but I haven't been able to find any specific information about how it differs from basic PLA. I do know that they set the temperature of the extruder to 230C for their Eco-ABS

That's up in the PETG range-- so you'll probably be alright. I haven't had much issues with PLA and Florida humidity, but then again, I don't leave my prints outside as a rule. The filament, pre-printing, will absorb moisture, and this can cause problems with printing. The usual issue with PLA filament is it becomes highly brittle, and snaps while going through the printer's bowden tube (or before).

Moisture is one thing we don't have to worry about too much in Tucson. Outside of a few weeks during Monsoon season in July/August it's pretty dry - often single digit dry.