Thread: Horseman L45 Tilt Friction Adjustment

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Horseman L45 Tilt Friction Adjustment

I just got a new-to-me Horseman L45. The only mechanical issue was the front standard tilt had too much friction.

Here are the steps I took to get it to tilt more easily.

1) The black plastic tilt lock knob needs to be removed first. To do that, pry off the the cover piece at the center of the knob. This will expose the head of a steel slotted blade head screw. PLEASE NOTE: This steel slotted blade head screw is left hand threaded (not normal), so you'll have to turn it clockwise to remove it (NOT counterclockwise as with normal right hand threads). Once the steel slotted blade head screw has been removed, the plastic locking knob can be fully removed by unthreading it off the shaft in the normal unthreading direction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman-Tilt-Knob-text2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	214462

2) Once the plastic lock knob has been removed, the four phillips head screws will be accessible. Remove those four phillips head screws, and detach the frame and tilt unit from the standard.

Name:	Horseman-Tilt-Threaded-Shaft-text.jpg 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	214460

3) The tilt unit has a steel slotted head retainer screw, and a bronze/brass friction adjustment nut. The steel slotted blade head retainer screw must be loosened first, before you can adjust the bronze/brass nut. PLEASE NOTE: The steel slotted blade head retainer screw is left hand threaded (not normal), so you have to turn it clockwise to loosen it. You don't need to fully remove the steel slotted blade head retainer screw, since you only need to loosen it enough to adjust the bronze/brass nut. To increase the tilt friction, tighten the bronze/brass nut clockwise (normal). To decrease the tilt friction, turn the bronze/brass nut counterclockwise. You'll probably need to use an adjustable lens wrench to turn the bronze/brass nut so it doesn't get scored. Once the tilt friction is to your liking, then tighten the steel slotted blade head screw (counterclockwise) against the bronze/brass screw to lock the friction position.

Name:	Horseman-Tilt-Friction-Adjustment-text.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	214461

4) Reassemble

When I got mine the cover on the tilt lock knob was already removed, and the steel retainer screw was damaged. The tilt lock knob retainer screw isn't critical, since it only keeps the plastic lock knob from coming off completely, so is not really necessary. On the other hand, the steel retainer screw for the friction adjusting nut is critical to keep the friction adjusting nut from moving. If the steel retainer screw gets damaged, the friction adjustment can't be properly controlled.
    PLEASE NOTE AGAIN that both steel retainer screws (with blade style slotted heads) are Left Hand Thread, which means they turn in the opposite direction for tightening and loosening (compared to normal Right Hand Thread fasteners).

New Info: In step two you can remove the domed cap, instead of removing the four phillips screws that hold the frame and tilt unit to the standard. The domed cap is held on by 3 very small phillips head screws. Remove those screw and then the cap should come off and allow access to the friction adjustment lock screw and bronze/brass nut. The plastic tilt locking knob still has to be removed first, however.
    Last edited by sharktooth; 5-Apr-2021 at 17:30. Reason: More Info