Thread: quality problem with printfile negative pages

quality problem with printfile negative pages

Recently, i noticed something with Print file negative pages. I use the 4x5 ones and i have spent countless hours experimenting with the right pen to mark them so the information will show up on the contact sheet. i found some great permanent markers that work well, but then i noticed that the white label part put on by print file is much much less opaque than their medium format pages- there is a huge difference.

Are they just saving white ink on the 4x5 pages? I have attached a photo to show the difference. I can't simply use a sharpie to get a bolder black line- i have information such as title and place of shoot as well as a code that simply won't fit in the given space if i use a bolder marker.

It doesn't seem right to me that the pages of one format are fine but another format gets less attention ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails print file.jpg  

Re: quality problem with printfile negative pages

I mark mine with an "ultra fine point" Sharpie, but the label space doesn't fit onto the contact sheet anyway. Are you using paper larger than 8x10? I think their quality can vary a little from pack to pack, but mine all seem to be similar (35mm, 120, and 4x5), though mine might be older than yours.

Inking levels can vary over a print run/ between runs for reasons too boring to discuss. I've had variance in the white density on all types of Print File sleeves. There are many more important things to get bothered about.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence Falk View Post
    Recently, i noticed something with Print file negative pages. I use the 4x5 ones and i have spent countless hours experimenting with the right pen to mark them so the information will show up on the contact sheet. i found some great permanent markers that work well, but then i noticed that the white label part put on by print file is much much less opaque than their medium format pages- there is a huge difference.
    Have you called them and discussed this?
    Are they just saving white ink on the 4x5 pages? I have attached a photo to show the difference. I can't simply use a sharpie to get a bolder black line- i have information such as title and place of shoot as well as a code that simply won't fit in the given space if i use a bolder marker.

It doesn't seem right to me that the pages of one format are fine but another format gets less attention ?
    Have you called them and discussed this with them? They are very nice people.

I don't understand the issue, it seems to me that if the white label is less opaque, when you make a contact print the contrast with your permanent marker will be greater.