Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint your negative carrier in black

Re: Paint your negative carrier in black

But actually, an anodized surface would have much greater wear resistance- but none of us are are operating in a production capacity, and I am always careful in handling my carriers. Anyway, works for me, and I am a fanatic when it comes to preventing dust/debris on my negatives. YMMV

I believe the black Omega negative carriers are anodized.

When I bought a 5x7 Kodak enlarger, I found myself doing a lot of changing and rebuilding. One of the last things to do was to make two negative carriers, one for 4x5 and one for 5x7. It came with a glass carrier but I had pin registration on my other enlargers (Beseler) so I wanted to extend that capability to the “new” 1944 enlarger. I made four plates of the appropriate size and shape out of aluminum hinged, etc. I took them to the anodizing company and they charged $100 minimum. They are flat black. A fine investment since ten years later they are still in mint condition and working like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Anodizing would be ideal, but my understanding is it can be quite expensive for a small part like a negative carrier--there is minimum charge for the process.

Anodizing yourself is pretty easy, for about $50 you can get all you need. You just need some pool chemicals, some lead, a bit of wire and a power source (12v battery or similar). Anybody that's used to a darkroom process, would have not problem.