Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint your negative carrier in black

Paint your negative carrier in black

Hi,
    Have you ever tried to paint your negative carrier?
    For omega, there is 3 versions, a grey classic, a white / black face, and all black.
    But if you would like to do it by yourself, what paint would you choose?
    And is there any interest / upgrade / reason, to paint your negative carrier, full in black?
    Regards

Re: Paint your negative carrier in black

https://mymodernmet.com/stuart-semple-black-paint/

You can use this - unless you are the artist Anish Kapoor or associated with him in any way.

The stuff works well inside a view camera and should help cut any reflection problems for a negative holder.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Black anodizing is better. If you do use paint, make sure it won't flake or scuff off.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Black anodizing is better. If you do use paint, make sure it won't flake or scuff off.
    Anodizing would be ideal, but my understanding is it can be quite expensive for a small part like a negative carrier--there is minimum charge for the process.

Drew Wiley

There was a large anodizer in this area. Id just ask when they were going to do a big batch of basic black next, and if they could toss my little project in along with it, which made it quite affordable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    https://mymodernmet.com/stuart-semple-black-paint/

You can use this - unless you are the artist Anish Kapoor or associated with him in any way.

The stuff works well inside a view camera and should help cut any reflection problems for a negative holder.
    I looked it up and wouldn't recommend No. 2 or No. 3 for a negative carrier. It is fragile and does not handle abrasion.

Drew Wiley

Almost all matte paints are quite fragile. I have used matte varnishes atop black enamel; but that can be tricky too because everything needs to be relatively heat resistant over time, with expansion/contraction characteristics of all the respective coating layers matched.

I think black carriers are a good idea. Internal reflections = not good. Just repainted the flaking paint on my Omega’s glass carrier, the white top painted surface was flaking off. Krylon flat black from the hardware store worked just fine.

Drew Wiley

Just fine until you find little loose specks of it require you to spot your prints down the line. I rather use black primer, which sticks better, then a harder clear finish over that. The flatter the black, the larger the black particles in it. Of course, it's a little more involved than that - I've sold industrial paints. But the flatter it is, the more actual surface area is involved, so a semi-gloss or semi-matte generally holds up way better than actual flat.

A good, durable flat black spray paint is Rustoleum "Chalk Board" at your home store... Takes overnight to dry, but less xhip/scuff resistant...

Note that finishes can be rough to negatives in between carrier surfaces, so polish film areas with polishing compound and throughly wash carrier before use...

Steve K