Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is my 4x5 area on the glass?

Re: What is my 4x5 area on the glass?

I read the following after I wrote it and it sounds a bit condecending and premptory. What appears below is intended to be direct and voncise . . .and helpful. Again: Welcome to LF. Don't over think this stuff. Go out and shoot. The most important things is HAVE FUN!

"The Ground Glass is Truth"

If you can see it on the GG it will be on the negative.

If it is not seen on the GG it will not be on the film.

Area? If you really need a hard number . . . get out a six inch ruler and measure it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

On my Linhof I have also the 9*12 lines, I actually like keep my composition mostly within these lines when possible. This has do do with the fact that my Durst Laborator L1200 is only in name a 4*5 enlarger; with the standard negative holder you can not print the complete 4*5 inch negative, so I use the 9*12 area as a safe margin.

Good luck with your adventures in LF land,

Best,

Cor

Thank you all for the advice and any suggestions.

LF seems to have a lot of parts to it but like anything, reading and practice helps you along.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Low-Tec and lots of moving parts:

Be leave it or not, my intro to LF came in the 1990s through high-tech diagnostic imaging with computer driven nuclear medicine cameras. Every day I would work with this sophisticated gear and capturing images from a CRT on 8x10 film in standard LF film holders. At the same time I inherited a broken Leica III-g and took it to the Houston Camerqa Show to get it fixed. Wound up selling this shoe box of camera parts and got a 4x5 camera. Cut down film from work and ran it throgh the automatic developing machine at work. Later on got a Kodak 2D and shot with that.

Somewhat later, I discovered that the automatic developing gear at work was compatible with Kodak Tri-X emulsions and off I went.

So during the4 week I worked with this high end star-Trek stuff and on weekends shot Nuc med film (or Tri-X) and running it in the dark room on Monday. The point of this post is that I found that I enjoyed working with all the moving parts of LF photography and the liknk through the work flow with the pioneer photographers of the 19th Century
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I read the following after I wrote it and it sounds a bit condecending and premptory. What appears below is intended to be direct and voncise . . .and helpful. Again: Welcome to LF. Don't over think this stuff. Go out and shoot. The most important things is HAVE FUN!

"The Ground Glass is Truth"

If you can see it on the GG it will be on the negative.

If it is not seen on the GG it will not be on the film.

Area? If you really need a hard number . . . get out a six inch ruler and measure it.
    Right on
    The true area of what will show up on the negative is related to the area of the exposed area of the film holder.

Paul Strand used a 5 x 7 camera. He masted off about 3/8 to 1/2 on each side of the 7 inch length of the ground glass, making the image area on the ground glass around 5 x 6 1/?. The area exposed on the film was 5 x 7
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net