Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chaco Canyon

Chaco Canyon

I'm about to hit the road for Chaco Canyon. I've been wanting to go there for years and now is the time, even though it's the dead of winter. Any last minute tips/advisories/caveats, photographic or otherwise, before I load up the camper? I'm traveling from Louisiana through Texas and entering New Mexico near Roswell.

Chaco Canyon

Just remember that the road can be a bit iffy in bad weather. You also need to remember that in the park you are Federal land, out side the park on all sides you are on Navajo Tribal Lands and subject to their rules and regulations regarding photography.

If you would like I can point you to an article that outlines these rules and proceedures.

Chaco Canyon

Mark,

I'd like to see those rules. I'm considering coming on down and all the extra info would be welcome.

Chaco Canyon

Please post a link to the article.

Thanks

Chaco Canyon

We are having the driest winter in 40 years. The roads will be dry and passable but may be rough if they have not been graded in awhile. We are having mild temperatures too, 60's in the daytime and some nice clouds.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Chaco Canyon

I'll be going to New Mexico in May. So yes, please post or link any information, hints or secret places. Honest I won't tell anyone.

Chaco Canyon

Jim,

Unfortunately much of the access that we had in the 80's when I did my book CHACO BODY has been closed off or restricted and though the rangers are few they are also tough. But it is still a wonderful place to photograph.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Chaco Canyon

Regarding current weather in NM, Kirk forgot to mention that it is often breezy to windy due to the track of the jet stream that is keeping us dry. A breeze of 5-15mph is fairly typical, but some areas and times of day are higher. So, consider bringing an anchor for your tripod. ;-)

Chaco Canyon

Here is the link. It is to an article I wrote for APUG's article section. I am not sure if non-subscribers can see it. If you cannot see it I would be happy to post it here on this site if Tuan Agrees or E-mail it to anyone who wants it. The information in the article is still current as there has been no changes to the Navajo Nation policies regarding photography. I do not mention Chaco in the article because it is governed by the federal GVT. the tribal regulations regarding photography apply outside the boundries of the monument.

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=76

I don't know how to make a hotlink so you will have to copy and paste the address

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Chaco Canyon

Bruce,

Make sure you take the entrance from the east, off of highway 550/44 near Nageezi, NM (there are signs). With that entrance, you drive 5 miles on paved and then 15 on graded dirt to get in. The last time I went there (May 2004) the road was not bad at all, but it can be much worse. DO NOT take the roads from the south, off of interstat 40- they are much longer and considerably rougher! Be sure to do the hike up to Pueblo Alto, that overlooks Chaco Canyon and the ruin of Pueblo Bonito- one of the most impressive sights in the southwest!
    Brian Vuillemenot