Thread: Making a base plate

Making a base plate

I was concerned about over tightening the tripod screw to maintain level. Although it is part of my poor mans scanner post, it can be used for other purposes. The base of my D7000 has two small recesses. One is to transfer power from the MB-D11, the other, I'm not sure. The base plate is aluminum plate (scrap). I used the clear part of a CD jewel case to make the template. Drilled small pilot hole first. The first was the 1/4 20 hole. Then tightened a small bolt into it. Then I traced out the base of my D7000 with a china marker. Then marked the other two (holes?). Then took it off the camera and drilled the pilot holes. Then sized the correct screw, and re-drilled the holes. Then I attached the CD plastic base to the aluminum plate with tape. After drilling into the aluminum plate. I bolted the plate to the camera and traced out the base of the camera. The smaller screw is tapped and threaded. Then the final shape it takes is determined by hacksaw and file or visiting someone with a metal cutting bandsaw. This can be for any camera that has an optional battery pack.
    When shooting your negatives/transparencies You will find that having a heavy tape dispenser handy. I tape the neg to carrier, sometimes on opposite sides to maintain flatness. I also tape the carrier plates shut as well as taping the carrier to the base. It helps to have pre-cut strips. I also have a plastic torpedo level (cut with hacksaw). It can sit on camera's back screen comfortably, measuring X and Y axis. Having pencils and scissors handy helps. I also add anther touch that I'm sure Eugene Smith would agree with, music.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D7000 plate.jpg   Rear ofv base plate.jpg   Tape Dispenser and Level.jpg   pencil box.jpg