Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallish back pack for Technika + 2 lenses + 3 film holders??

Smallish back pack for Technika + 2 lenses + 3 film holders??

Does anyone have recommendations for a back pack for this setup?

Would also be carrying focusing cloth

Looking at a small footprint.

I have a Trekker for my old mamiya RZ but its pretty huge

Thank you

Re: Smallish back pack for Technika + 2 lenses + 3 film holders??

I used to use twin sachel bags with it, but found a nice, old (but newish) Lowe Photo Trekker backpack from a thrift store... Camera, a few smaller lenses, and 14 holders fit well, and the entire kit was in one bag... But the bag is a little heavy until I get the camera out...

One thing I like about the old Lowe is it also has a shoulder strap so I can wear it in dusty places without it touching the ground, and the pockets are angled so easy to use while standing...

I like this bag...

Steve K

I have a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker that handles my Wista DX, two lenses, meter, loupe and a couple of film holders -- and a dark cloth. There are pockets, too, for filters, etc. You can get a lot of stuff in it. I bought it used.

Trekker no longer available.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Years ago we planned a trip to the Grand Canyon. I didn't have a field or hiking kit then. It was all packed into a salesman's "Catalog Case" .

Went to Good will and got a tough looking day bag. Tried on several begore buying. Went to a surplus store and got two closed cell foam sleeping mats. Cut the mats up into several tomb-stone shaped layers and stuck them together with a hot glue gun. Then cut out spaces in the layered foam to accept the gear I was bringing; camera, film holders, meter etc.

Worked great in action. Looked like any other day pack full of lunch and a sewter. Diden't look like I had maxed out my gold card with B&H. And it was a custom fit.

I have no interest in buying a brand new photo bag at retail.

The real point is that I first got a serious hiker's backpack that fit my body and was suitable for back country hiking, then made it hold and protect my gear .

That was the philosophy behind the now discontinued line of PhotoBackpacker protective system. The system was designed to fit securely into a Redwing hiker's pack designed for trekking comfortsbly with a load.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 29-Mar-2021 at 07:06.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Atlas Athlete. A very versatile photo pack with built in ICU. Shimoda possibly but I do not find it as comfortable as the the Atlas.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Today"

I do not backpack anything anymore.

My 4x5 kit is packed to grab-and-go in a LowePro "Magnum 35" shoulder bag. An 8x10 Kodak 2D is stored at home in a mid 1980s vintage LowePro Trekker backpack. Both bags were gotten for whatever I paid for the gear that was in them.

If I travel by air, the camera gear goes into a Pelican hard case that will carry-on, but could go into the hold if it has to be checked at the gate. The shoulder bag goes into my checked luggage stuffed with socks and T-shirts to be re-packed with photo gear at the other end.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have one of the Manfrotto Pro Light. Fits the Technika, 4 lenses, a few holders, loupe and spotmeter. Dark cloth goes inside above the material, tripod hangs on the side.

It's tight - I should have picked a slightly larger model - but it fits. I do need to replace the huge 120mm lens with something smaller when I go trekking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210329_095430.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	214272

I use a military bag "GK Professional Patrol Bag" with 3 lenses, 3 or 4 holders, a spotmeter and the dark cloth in the main part, the rest in the external pockets.
    This bag in a french store: https://gkproshop.com/eshop/sacs-tac...tir-patrol-bag

What I use, which holds the Linhof or any 4x5 I have in the bottom, with film holders on the side of the camera, and on the top plenty of space for 2-4 lenses and/or filters, meter, etc.:

https://www.lowepro.com/global/prota...k-lp36772-pww/

It's not the biggest, but it's also not the smallest pack. The laptop area also fits nicely a Quickload holder and associated envelopes if you use them, or could be used for a nicely folded darkcloth perhaps. Oh and this pack has a very nice tripod holder.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome