Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good 210 for 4x5??

Re: Good 210 for 4x5??

Any multicoated f:5.6 version from Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock or Fuji would be fine. Buy on condition and a shutter that works now. A Copal or Compur shutter would be my choice. There are lots of these around and should be within your budget. The MC version of the Schneider "S" lenses are excellent but some "S" lenses are single coated. (But still excellent) Don't buy any lens with a dented filter ring. That makes it hard to service it and get haze out of it if you find that. Avoid any lenses with fungus issues, even if professionally cleaned out.

If size and weight are extremely important to you, the f:6.8 single coated lenses are fine. A more exotic choice like a R Claron 210 (typically in a compur shutter) is really small and light with decent coverage for 4X5. These are radioactive and have tea-colored glass in them but a treatment with UV light will take care of that. I use my R Claron the most.

A 210 f6.3 Computar Symmetrigon if you happen across one would be an excellent lens -- they were sold with a metal lens shade, nice if it still has it.

PS -- this is not a plasmat, nor a process lens. It has four elements, air-spaced, designed in the USA for pictorial use, manufactured in Japan. Relatively light (compared to 6-element plasmats) and I find it quite sharp and good contrast. About 72 degree coverage.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 29-Mar-2021 at 12:58.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

It won't make a lot of difference. All the modern 210's plasmats from the big four (Fuji, Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock) are excellent. I'd be more concerned with condition if buying used; it is an abundant focal length, and relatively pristine examples should be easy to find. Among non-plasmats, and tessar design instead, if you want something even more compact, there is the 200 Nikkor M and 210 Fujinon L. And the compact f/9 plasmat G-Claron has already been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Christianganko View Post
    New to LF

I am sure its been discussed so please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Looking to get a 210

I see a wide variety and not sure if the difference is noticeable ?

Theres a fujinon W, a symmar, a Kreuznach TECHNIKA, so many choices it gets mind dumbing.

Should i avoid older lenses? Besides the possibility of wear etc?

Any and all help greatly appreciated as I have a smallish 250 budget.

Thank you
    What will you be using the lens for? Landscape, portraits, backpacking, tabletop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I have a Caltar 210 f6.8 (I think it's a re-branded Rodenstock) that does a great job. It's light and small. You can find good ones on the used market.
    Is this a Tessar? I think that the Nikon 200 M is a Tessar; not sure about the Fujinon L.

If your interested in camera movements, I would not get a Tessar and would look torwards the Plasmats. The W lenses by the four primary manufacturers are all Plasmats.

With 72 degree coverage, the Computar sounds like an interesting lens.

The G-Claron is optimized for closer work, but when stopped down, is good at long distances.

Much like the 90mm question, any known good condition modern f5.6, 210mm from Schneider, Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider in a proper good shutter works. 210mm is such a common focal length a good example should be easily had for well under $250.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Christianganko View Post
    New to LF

I am sure its been discussed so please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Looking to get a 210

I see a wide variety and not sure if the difference is noticeable ?

Theres a fujinon W, a symmar, a Kreuznach TECHNIKA, so many choices it gets mind dumbing.

Should i avoid older lenses? Besides the possibility of wear etc?

Any and all help greatly appreciated as I have a smallish 250 budget.

Thank you

"Any good modern lens is corrected for maximum definition at the larger stops. Using a small stop only increases depth..."
    Ansel Adams, June 3, 1937, in a reply to Edward Weston asking for lens suggestions, page 244 of Ansel's autobiography.

I buy almost anything on reputation of seller

Bargains can be a nightmare

Shutters matter

Too
    Tin Can

I have two :
    Nikon W 5.6/210
    Docter Tessar 4.5/210

I like them both for different reasons.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I would get any multicoated 210 in good condition from any of the major manufacturers.
    +1.
    Personally mine was a Nikkor W. It was wonderful.