Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Master Technika - New LF user question

Linhof Master Technika - New LF user question

Having had bad luck with my first LF camera, Horseman 45FA, i have started looking again.

I keep seeing the Technika master.

Noob question. Does thsi come with and without a RF?
    Do you actually need to use the RF if its on there?
    Is the price reflective of what you get?

If these have been answered I apologies and by all means point me in the direction.

Many thanks!

Chris

Re: Lilnhof Master Technika - New LF user question

Quote Originally Posted by Christianganko View Post
    Having had bad luck with my first LF camera, Horseman 45FA, i have started looking again.

I keep seeing the Technika master.

Noob question. Does thsi come with and without a RF?
    Do you actually need to use the RF if its on there?
    Is the price reflective of what you get?

If these have been answered I apologies and by all means point me in the direction.

Many thanks!

Chris
    All Master Technika cameras have a rangefinder. The Master Technika 2000 and its replacement, the Technika 3000 do not have a rangefinder and instead have an extreme wide angle focusing system built into the body for 35 to 65mm wide angle lenses.

No, you don’t have to use the RF on the Master Technika. If you do want to use it you need to have cams cut for any lenses from 72mm to 360mm that you want to be RF coupled.

Yes, it is worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    All Master Technika cameras have a rangefinder. The Master Technika 2000 and its replacement, the Technika 3000 do not have a rangefinder and instead have an extreme wide angle focusing system built into the body for 35 to 65mm wide angle lenses.

No, you don’t have to use the RF on the Master Technika. If you do want to use it you need to have cams cut for any lenses from 72mm to 360mm that you want to be RF coupled.

Yes, it is worth the cost.

Thanks Bob

I have seen a few without the RF so I imagine its a modification.

Would you say these lose their value because of it? Because prices still seem high.

Chris

Re: Linhof Master Technika - New LF user question

The main improvement of the Master Technika is a ratcheted lever for front rise and a tripod mount on the top of the camera when the shoe is removed. There's also some slight differences when the bed is dropped. Otherwise a IV or V model will be almost identical but much cheaper.

I had a IV briefly that had its RF removed. It was much lighter and would've made a good field camera. I currently have an extra Master that I got at an estate sale and needs some refurbishing, and I am considering removing its RF and making it a field camera. Nothing wrong with this if you never plan to use the RF and don't mind chopping the camera up a little.

As for high prices on I assume used cameras, take a look at what the new price is! Used prices are comparatively low compared to new price, even among other LF cameras.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The main improvement of the Master Technika is a ratcheted lever for front rise and a tripod mount on the top of the camera when the shoe is removed. There's also some slight differences when the bed is dropped. Otherwise a IV or V model will be almost identical but much cheaper.

I had a IV briefly that had its RF removed. It was much lighter and would've made a good field camera. I currently have an extra Master that I got at an estate sale and needs some refurbishing, and I am considering removing its RF and making it a field camera. Nothing wrong with this if you never plan to use the RF and don't mind chopping the camera up a little.

Would removing the RF effect resale value?

I feel it wouldnt but new to it all so..

When I sold the IV I had with no RF, I feel like I got top-market price - because it had already been modified to a "better" state for some photographers. At the end of the day, like most sales of used items, "it depends."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Ahhhh, it's just a lump on one side of the camera... Ignore it, and it goes away (in your mind)...

Try to find a 90mm cam to leave in place so you can drop bed and RF coupling does not get in the way...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Ahhhh, it's just a lump on one side of the camera... Ignore it, and it goes away (in your mind)...

Try to find a 90mm cam to leave in place so you can drop bed and RF coupling does not get in the way...

Steve K
    HI Labrat

Not too sure what you mean. Sorry! You mean make sure it has a 90m cam pre removal or post?

Thanks Bob

I have seen a few without the RF so I imagine its a modification.

Would you say these lose their value because of it? Because prices still seem high.

Chris
    Yes, if. They took the RF off as it leaves a modified camera for no meaningful reasons as its weight is minimal. If you want one without the RF get a 2000 or 3000 as then you gain a major benefit without modifying a valuable camera.

HI Labrat

Not too sure what you mean. Sorry! You mean make sure it has a 90m cam pre removal or post?
    If it still has the linkage for the bed rail, you can keep it from jamming up by using the smallest cam, the 90mm to stay on it...

If the RF is not off camera, let it be... I never use the RF on mine, but still on it (instead of a hole)... Camera still fits well in case, and you might need it someday (or sell it)...

One guy on here years ago was frantically trying to get an RF BACK onto a camera that was missing it...

I have a baby graphic that years ago thought the RF was taking up too much space on it, so removed it ... Time & tide later, got into a handheld faze (when I shoot without a tripod in restricted space), but my parts flew away, and I thought I was stooopid for removing in in the first place... :-(

Like I said, just ignore it if not needed...

Steve K