Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions/Recommendations For A Lighter Field 4X5 Camera?

Re: Any Suggestions/Recommendations For A Lighter Field 4X5 Camera?

I no longer Hike, I stroll short distances

With an unfolded 4X5 folder, mounted lens, any supplies I need

Going to hell with a handbasket is more fun
    Tin Can

It's hard to be spontaneous with any view camera. I've shot a great deal of architecture (professionally and personally) and I've used several different 4x5s, from a featherweight Tachihara to a Sinar Norma. All of them have had to be unfolded and set up once I've found the spot to shoot from. A non-folding camera would be faster for that; of course you'll still have to set up the tripod. And i'll suggest that slowing down and contemplating that non-moving subject before setting up will improve your pictures. That said, the TK45 is a 4x5 that I've lusted after for thirty years, so perhaps I'm just jealous. Best of luck!

Just to come at it from a different angle, I'd be curious as to what focal lengths the OP has to use in his architectural work. If he works mostly on the short end, then the Toyo VX125 might be marginally faster than the TK while still maintaining the same capacity for perspective control (e.g. it has 70mm of rise available, IIRC.) Again, the Toyo is a bit bellows limited at 300mm (with the addition of rail extensions) but seems to me to be a bit more "packable" than the TK--the OP might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Lihnof TK is not difficult to set up from folded. Set up the camera on tripod, unlock the camera at the base, swing the two standards apart on the telescopic rail into their normal positions, unlock the telescopic rail, position as needed, lock down what is needed after initial setting. Works quite easy and fast for a fold up and compact view camera.

Easier and faster would be the Sinar Norma with a cut down rail with lens on camera. Set up would be remove the camera from it's Pelican case, attach the Norma on the Sinar tripod mount, add at least one rail, pull the two standards into normal working position.

Regardless, the TK is IMO very easy and fast to set up. Bellows are easy to change if needed, and overall good camera for what it is. Majority of metal folders are not that much lower weight than a TK and often more difficult to set up and use depending on the lens focal length needed.

Camera choice is still very dependent on lenses most often used. There is no ideal camera for all VC image making needs.

Bernice

Since you have the Technikardan for studio and tougher architectural work, I'd suggest a lightweight, no-frills wooden folding field camera.

Take care to choose on that is actually lightweight; a lot of them are six pounds or more. Get one in the three-four pound range that gives you the movements you want.

I have Wista DX and SW cameras at the moment, the latter with interchangeable bellows, but rather rare. The DX will take lenses from 65mm to 300mm with recessed and extended lensboards respectively and offers lateral shift on one standard (I wouldn't own a camera without shift). It folds up with smaller lenses mounted and takes Technika boards.

There are Shen Hao offerings with similar features. The Chamonix cameras look nice as well (again, look at the features and weight of the different models). There are others as well. I worked with a Horseman Woodman camera for years. A bit limited, but one of the lightest cameras I have used.

In contrast to others, I think a camera that folds up is, in general, better than the non-folding offerings. It's easier to transport, accommodates a greater variety of focal lengths (non-folders usually have limited bellows draw) and less vulnerable to damage.

Couple a lightweight wooden folder with three or four lightweight lenses and you can easily keep your kit down to 15 pounds or even less.

I usually carry a Wista DX, a 90mm f/8 Nikkor SW (on a recessed board), a 135mm Plasmat, a 203mm Ektar and a 300mm Nikkor M (on a top-hat board) with either the 135mm or the 203mm folded up in the camera. Spot meter, six holders, a set of six filters, a tripod and some accessories. Total weight with tripod is 14 pounds. It all goes in a lumbar pack and in pockets; tripod is in my hand or strapped onto the pack.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

The Wista 45DX is pretty light. I have the Wista-made Zone VI version and its great as a light weight 4x5. Schneider 90mm /6.8 Angulon is nearly weightless. The 127mm lenses from the old Polaroid 110 Pathfinders are also little. Don't have a number for you though.

I have not weighed either of these either, but one of the plastic point snd shoot models might be worth a look: TravelWide and WillTravel come to mind.

Another thought might be a Gowland "Pocket View" if low weight and movements are important . . .if you can find one.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew Wiley

My full-featured 4X5 is a Sinar Norma monorail, but my lightweight wooden folder for backpacking or airline carry-on is an Ebony. These are no longer made and have gotten quite expensive; but the price was reasonable back when I got mine about thirty years ago. It's probably the best made lightweight folder. But there are numerous other good options. If I had to buy a new one, it would probably be a Chamonix.

George Sheils

The Walker Titan XL 4x5 is my camera of choice. Very stable, solid as a rock and not too heavy it offers a lot of movement on the front standard while the fixed back standard promotes parallelism especially with wide lenses. I'm delighted with mine and the camera is very slim for a non-folder at around 4 inches. Best decision I ever made was to buy the Walker.

If you want a lighter 4x5, get an 8x10. I guarantee that your 4x5 will instantly become lighter after using the 8x10. And what's more, the 4x5 film holders will become remarkably easy to load!

It's magic!

But seriously and to the point (and as mentioned), a Wista, Tachihara or other of that ilk is a capable camera. Much excellent work has come out of them. My first LF camera was a Wista 45DX way back in 1982. It was a lovely camera.

The Tachihara weighs 1.7kgs (~3.7lbs).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ts_063.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	214313
    Rob Gray — Nature Photographer Extraordinaire
    www.robgray.com