Thread: Fujinon-W flash problem (M/X)

Fujinon-W flash problem (M/X)

I have an old Fujinon-W 5,6/180 lens, bought off eBay years and years ago but never used (by me), that I wanted to use, now, for a project. It looked OK at first, but then I ran across a problem with flash.

There is a small lever with two positions, marked M and X, respectively. M for bulb, X for non-bulb, right? Well, if the lever is in the X position and I cock the shutter, it is released right away (and the flash is not triggered.) If the lever is in the M position, and I cock the shutter, it is not released immediately. However, when I do release the shutter, the flash might be triggered, but most often, it is not. And M would, in any case, be so wrong for my flash.

Third case, the lever is in the M position, and I cock the shutter, but do not release it. Then, if I move the lever to the X position, the shutter is released immediately (and the flash is not triggered.)

Would anybody have an idea about what the problem is? Thank you in advance!

Re: Fujinon-W flash problem (M/X)

Which make/model of shutter is the lens in?

This http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm source says that all versions of the Fuji 180/5.6 W are mounted in Copal #1 shutters. I could be mistaken, but I don't think Copal 1s have an M-X switch. Synchro-Compur 1s do. So your lens' cells may have been remounted. Not a problem, all #1s are to the same standard.

In any case, your shutter needs service.

Is the shutter a Copal #1?
    Some Copal #1's used by Fuji had an M-X switch.
    It doesn't sound like a flash sync-specific problem, it sounds like the shutter could use a CLA.
    It is recommended to "exercise" shutters every so often to keep the lubricants from becoming gummy and causing problems. If yours hasn't been used in a long time, a CLA is probably in order....but first try exercising it, by cocking & firing it at every speed about 20 times...sometimes they respond to that.

The more common problem is that the M delay timing mechanism is sticky and causes the shutter to not release when the trigger is pressed. You might have a combination of two issues: the shutter cocking isn't quite "catching" at the end of the cocking throw, and the M mechanism is a little sticky, which prevents the shutter from firing immediately when set on M. Both of these suggest mechanisms that are a little dirty/gummy as Dan and Dugan say.

If you are not sure of the make of shutter, opening it for repair may be a one-way ticket to a box of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you are not sure of the make of shutter, opening it for repair may be a one-way ticket to a box of parts.
    The shutter is a Copal #1. No, I won't open it myself. But finding the right person to do it is not easy.