Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question on Buying an Item in UK via e-Bay

Re: A question on Buying an Item in UK via e-Bay

Over the years I've bought items from England and from Germany. Never a problem with anything being shipped from the UK via Royal Mail. All packages arrived in a timely basis With items being shipped from Germany via DHL, tracking ended when the package left Germany, and the package was delivered here via the USPS. Never any import fees. Some packages delivered by the USPS had import/customs fees, but the USPS always ignored them. Bottom line is that I have never had any problems over the years. Always request very good packing... I had a large central ND filter from Germany that was shipped inside its plastic round case in a plain large envelope with no protective packing... Amazingly it arrive here last fall perfectly intact!

I've bought stuff from just about everywhere. Never paid an customs fees (nor FedEx or UPS fees)

I prefer buying used stuff from Japan - people tend to be serious about taking care of stuff and I've had zero problems - pretty much the same from Korea, but being something of a Japanophile (and having lived there six years and gotten married there and speaking the language) I feel most comfortable buying things there.

Just as expected, the Northern Ireland (unsolvable) customs border to Eire (EU) has become an organised intermediate station for parcels from the UK to the EU. No import VAT to pay on my last 2 purchases from Custom Bellows.

Obviously Boris Johnson has other things on his mind at the moment!

George Sheils

That's interesting to hear, Steven.

I live in Ireland and may need to buy from Custom Bellows for a 10x12 inch Field camera I've just received. Although I had to pay VAT on this of around €100 over and above the price. First though I need to test the bellows to see how light tight it is.

On another note, Steven, do you know anywhere I can buy 10x12 x-ray film online from the EU?

Best regards, George.

Sorry, just seen this!

X Ray film made in/for Europe has the 24x30cm size rather than 10x12”.
    How usable this is, is dependent on what type of plate/film holders you have.

Have just done an eBay check. Use roentgen in your search - plenty available - use all categories.

It could be items from the Uk to Ireland get the import VAT, whilst items for the “EU” get despatched through NI/Belfast, rather than crossover into Eire/Dublin. There have been no “clues” on packages or printed labels. I am now up to 3 packages that escaped the dreaded 30% (25% import VAT + admin charge) surcharge!

George Sheils

Thank you for that information, Steven. I really appreciate it.

I'll research using roentgen and see what's out there.
    Btw, two wooden glass plate holders (the book type) came with the camera and are in very nice shape. I'm planning to use some form of plastic sheets to take the place of where the glasses used to go and find a way of adhering the x-ray film to them.

Best regards,
    George.

I find book plate holders are the easiest to adapt to modern film. Instead of having to use dedicated film sheaths (which are basically unobtainable in larger sizes), it is possible to place the film in the frame (emulsion down) then place a cut metal sheet over it and lock with the tabs - and then do the same on the other side. Of course the old spring(s) have to be in reasonable condition.

I have done this with 24x30 & 30x40cm as well as 12x10” & 15x12”!

George Sheils

Steven, that sounds great. I’ll get some metal sheets cut to size and give it a go.
    Cheers
    George
    Last edited by George E. Sheils; 10-Jun-2021 at 12:47.