Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimal Agitation article published

Minimal Agitation article published

There are dozens of ways to process B&W film, I wrote an article linked below on the UnBlinkingEye website resource about my methods. The article details the evolution of my technique using side by side examples. My technique revolves around a delicate set of relationships, nevertheless, there is an exact formula on how to achieve success.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/RASS/rass.html

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Re: Minimal Agitation article published

I read it Steve, a rather complete description of process!

Thank you!

I will try it when I renew and reprogram my Gas burst system to match your parameters.

Which will require a bit of learning, but it is time for a system update as I first made it 2015. New gadgets...
    Tin Can

Steve, I have read your latest article, twice actually, and am headed to Home Depot for materials. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Jim, I see you edited your post. I understand Steve recommends his tubes. I have personal issues with any tube. As I can’t use them. Arthritis, thus hangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Steve, I have read your latest article, twice actually, and am headed to Home Depot for materials. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
    Tin Can

For FP4+ 4x5 single sheet I had multiple Pyrocat HD failures at 3A+2B+495. Bumping up to 3.2A + 2.4B seemed to resolve the issues for a while. It could be related to water differences, tank shape (SP445 vs tube), and/or age of Pyrocat chemistry. I also switched to Pyrocat M and have not had any issues using same dilutions.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    For FP4+ 4x5 single sheet I had multiple Pyrocat HD failures at 3A+2B+495. Bumping up to 3.2A + 2.4B seemed to resolve the issues for a while. It could be related to water differences, tank shape (SP445 vs tube), and/or age of Pyrocat chemistry. I also switched to Pyrocat M and have not had any issues using same dilutions.
    I, too, had a few failures, but with 8x10 Foma 100. I built the tubes, as described by Steve, and followed his instructions for processing. I always suspected Pyrocat-HD failure, but never determined that for sure. And, if you ever even whisper the words "Pyrocat-HD failure" dozens of "experts" will quickly inform you that that is impossible! Honestly, my tubes have been sitting collecting dust for awhile now because I can't rely on the outcome.

I plan to try this with open trays sometime soon - because this would allow me to do multiples of six at a time (I place six 5x7 trays in a single, 20x24 tray for group or individual agitation)...plus I have a lightproof, two door entryway which makes this a bit more convenient.

Will likely try both rocking and brush agitation, to see what might work best.

Have heard pros and cons regarding minimal/ema/stand in open trays, but as always, the best way to truly know something is to try it!

I have used trays for extended development with minimal agitation since I was taught the process in1938 or 39. It is not the same, and doesn't work well for me with any developer other than well used D-23. It is used to increase contrast on film exposed under extremely flat lighting conditions. When I learned it the purpose was to provide Total Development. The photo department where I worked used the method to develop all roll film. A rack holding all the days roll film left for processing, regardless of brand or speed, and up to about 4 dozen rolls, was lowered into the well used D-23 just before closing each day. The next morning it was lifted from the developer and moved through the remainder of processing steps.
    The purpose was to produce rolls of negatives which would print in the automatic contact printer. Separation of mid-tone values as with Steve's process, was inconsequential.
    When I have film of a flat subject exposed under flat lighting, i use tis total development process.
    I know from experience it doesn't work to separate mid tone values.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I, too, had a few failures, but with 8x10 Foma 100. I built the tubes, as described by Steve, and followed his instructions for processing. I always suspected Pyrocat-HD failure, but never determined that for sure. And, if you ever even whisper the words "Pyrocat-HD failure" dozens of "experts" will quickly inform you that that is impossible! Honestly, my tubes have been sitting collecting dust for awhile now because I can't rely on the outcome.
    I have mixed PyroCat HD from scratch since 2003, however, in prepping for a workshop I was sent some pre-made PyroCat HD, (no Glycol) and it in fact it was bad, quickly replaced, but bad. I have a close friend who buys the premixed stuff for 15 years now, occasionally he gets a bad batch. There is a tricky component in the PyroCat formula if not completely dissolved, (in isopropyl alcohol) and then added to the water, in the proper sequence BTW. Then the A component looses it's fire power. If an outside vendor is mixing large amounts of PyroCat for distribution, than the amount of Phenidone that is needed to go into solution becomes a weak link. Virtually, every uneven development problem other photogs have reached out about, has been solved by the initial agitation needs to be 1.5 - 2 minutes, and fairly vigorous in nature. Adjacency Effects are the goal of this technique, which result from developer exhausting at the boundaries of dissimilar tonalities, why one would try to process multi sheets at one time remains a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I plan to try this with open trays sometime soon - because this would allow me to do multiples of six at a time (I place six 5x7 trays in a single, 20x24 tray for group or individual agitation)...plus I have a lightproof, two door entryway which makes this a bit more convenient.

Will likely try both rocking and brush agitation, to see what might work best.

Have heard pros and cons regarding minimal/ema/stand in open trays, but as always, the best way to truly know something is to try it!
    I have only tried tray processing once for the EMA technique, whether it failed because the negative floated to the surface of the developer in the dark, is unknowable, I never tried a tray process again. You John, have seen first hand my negatives, and had some rather glowing remarks regarding the result. The results are real, where people fail, they take a tried and true, albeit, very delicate formula and adapt it to their own needs and hopes, and fail. Achieve some success first, and then make only one change at a time to adapt the technique to your own workflow.