Thread: Very used Sinar P questions

Very used Sinar P questions

I came across this Sinar P at a local shop and have questions regarding the sad state. Firstly, the rear rail clamp lever travels beyond vertical to clamp securely to the rail. Something just isn't right. I'm not sure if this can be fixed or if it's worth fixing. Secondly, the camera appears to be two front standard assemblies. When the front and rear controls are on the same side, the coarse tilt locking lever prevents the front and rear from getting close to each other. It was impossible to focus a 90 mm lens. I flipped the rear around to fix the issue, but then the controls are on different sides. Thirdly, just a minor issue, one rail cap it missing.

The bellows are in great condition. The fine focus is perfect. The tilt/swing knobs have some play, but the same as a supposedly good condition P I tried out at the same time. All movement have the zero position notch. The ground glass is the original Sinar. The Sinar tripod head looks like it's from the 70's. Two of the bubble levels are dried out. The gg back springs are good.

A Reflex viewer is included, but it's being held together with tape. That said, I was able to focus in direct sunlight, so at least it works.

I'm wondering whether going with this Charlie Brown Sinar for a low price would be worth it (assuming I just use it as is), whether anyone would buy it from me in the future, and whether I should just wait for a decent P2 to come along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2.jpeg   image6.jpeg   image1.jpeg  

Re: Very used Sinar P questions

I think it's actually two rear assemblies; note the focus scale on the focusing knob.

I recommend you list out what you actually want: rail length, lens or not, bag bellows, etc. and compare this to what things are going for on eBay.

Also, a P is pretty heavy; if you don't need the geared movements, you may want an F.

In summary: this camera is kind of a mixed group of parts (the rail is an extension rail, not the base rail) you may be able to get the kit you need for the same or less money on eBay.

Ya, robphoto's right, it looks like two rear standards. When you're standing behind the camera looking at the ground glass, the focusing knobs should be on your right.

Since these are modular cameras it shouldn't be a problem turning one of the standards around. Take the standard that currently has the ground glass and turn it around. That should give you a normal rear standard arrangement. Leave the front side as it is now.

If you can get it very cheap, then I don't see any problem working with it this way. If the bellows are good, and the basic operations work properly, then you should be good to go.

Beware, the purchase of this camera will certainly lead to the purchase of other Sinar parts.

!!! G A S !!!

Because, as you say, one standard is spinning, there are two rear standards, there is only one extension tube, not the standard tube, and accessories are also needed: a normal bellows as lens hood, a wide angle bellows for lenses <150mm, another front standard to focus wide angle, etc.

The criterion for me would be whether I could get this camera cheap enough. I would need at least one more F with a wideangle bellows, for reasons mentioned above. Maybe for $200-300 it will come with the lens and the Gitzo head?

The tilt/swing knob is a design flaw. P2 made them separate.

Sinar are modular erector sets.

Price is very important as you need to buy more parts.

Sinar also made heavy duty parts.

Internal repair may be hard to fund andor obtain parts.
    Tin Can

Didn't focus before on, "whether I should just wait for a decent P2 to come along."

If you've already got a 4x5 camera, and want a spiffy Sinar P2, and the money doesn't matter, you can get one on eBay for about 1000.

I think buying this thing, you'd start wanting something nicer (GAS referred to above)

That is is a mix of Sinar bits, two Sinar P series one front standards on a 18" rail, standard bellows and non meter back 4x5 GG-film frame.
    Can this make images, yes. This a proper series one Sinar P, no.

This mix does illustrate the modularity and flexibility of the Sinar system, but not a series one P.

If you're hankering for a Sinar P, wait for a good example, typically $400 to $500 these days. The P2 sells for a bit more.
    Own and used both P and P2. P2 can be turn the wrong knob problem under the dark cloth if the swing-tilt knobs are well learned of which knob does what function.
    The series one P has a shift knob to do this. Once the knob sets that single control knob to swing or tilt there is no mixing up of the functions when that knob is turned.

IMO, either P is one of the best cameras of it's type. Very nice to use, interchangeable and modular in ways other view cameras could never be.. Proven durability, reliability and more...

Get a Sinar pan-tilt tripod head, they work GOOD.

Bernice

Maybe OP bought the VGC one just sold on this forum.

I had a P with dual purpose knob that could barely turn, it always felt like the plastic knob was going to break.

I sold a set of P's with all 3 formats on this forum and got scolded for selling too cheap by a member I respect. No problem.

I do like my 4x5...5x7 Norma set way more!
    Tin Can