Thread: iPhone app for recording photo information

iPhone app for recording photo information

I hope this is in the right place and that there is something in an app that can help me. I am looking for an app that will let you compose, give you the lens info (210, 300, 450. etc.) but then also let you note the film, shutter speed, f-stop to that photo. There are certain times when I want that info and taking handwritten notes will work but I need a way to put that info with the right piece of film. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?

Re: iPhone app for recording photo information

Jim, Check out the Reciprocity Timer app for either iPhone or Android. I use it on my iPhone primarily to help me with exposure corrections for film or bellows reciprocity, but it has pretty comprehensive note-taking capabilities (I don't use) that are attached to an image file you can take and save for each composition. The app was designed specifically for use by film photographers, and has been refined a fair amount over time, so I would expect it would address all your needs.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Jim, Check out the Reciprocity Timer app for either iPhone or Android. I use it on my iPhone primarily to help me with exposure corrections for film or bellows reciprocity, but it has pretty comprehensive note-taking capabilities (I don't use) that are attached to an image file you can take and save for each composition. The app was designed specifically for use by film photographers, and has been refined a fair amount over time, so I would expect it would address all your needs.
    John,

I have this app and use it for reciprocity but did not realize it could do that. I will have to check it out. Thanks. Jim

Jim, Your response caused me to remember that (I think) the RP app may have more than one version (such as starter or Basic, and "Pro" versions), so you may need to clarify on that. If you go out to Apple's App Store and review the RP app's listing of all of its features (etc.), it describes most of what I think you're looking for.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Is there a phone app that meters light and lets you set the light range you want to meter? Say there is one setting for film and a setting for wet plate.
    Along with a setting for the lens you are using that can be used as a viewing filter and set the image on the phone to a gray scale.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Sorta, as reviewed here

https://www.appshopper.com/photograp...iprocity-timer

I am going to try it, don't wait for my review, I can afford the $2
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Sorta, as reviewed here

https://www.appshopper.com/photograp...iprocity-timer

I am going to try it, don't wait for my review, I can afford the $2
    Randy, I have he basic version and have used it on a regular basis figuring reciprocity for the few films that I use and it has worked out fine. I'll have to explore the "more expensive" version to see if it will do what I want.

The Pro version records your holders numbers, the rollfilm images, all you need to record all data of your photos. You can record the data in a note, add an image taken with your phone and even place the measured zones over the image. You can export the notes as PDF and other formats. If you allow the app, can record the position of the camera too.

I use Lightme and the companion note app Logbook (which you need to get through the iPhone app beta program). It's got some reciprocity calculations and framelines for various formats and can do spot metering and some other stuff. Even has a pinhole mode.
    Reviews on it are good and I admit the only reason I picked it up initially was that it was free, but there are options for watching an ad or giving a donation to the creator instead of a purchase price.
    Can even make some presets for it.
    My main complaint is the note app part of it seems built around cameras that have lenses that can be swapped which is not the case for my TLR MF cameras. I could be missing a part there in the setup of cameras/lenses though. That doesn't really apply much to LF though.
    Oh and on a small phone the frameline slider for the preview window is sensitive to dial in the right focal length if you want to be exact.