Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the current trend on using dark cloth?

Re: What is the current trend on using dark cloth?

My step-daughter’s boyfriend’s brother belongs to a metal band - and he gave me the band’s t-shirt…which I’ve put to good use:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Cloth.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	214145

You might be using a future collector item worth big $$$

don't wash it

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    My step-daughter’s boyfriend’s brother belongs to a metal band - and he gave me the band’s t-shirt…which I’ve put to good use:

Name:	Dark Cloth.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	214145
    Tin Can

Well, as it turns out...the band has not played together for awhile (covid, etc.), and their future as a band now looks questionable...so this t-shirt may already be a collectors item!

Using a large dark cloth not only makes it easier to see the ground glass, it also helps prevent occasional light leaks. Actually I use a very large one and cover the camera from just behind the front lens support to a point well down my back. With the box holding my film holders sitting between the tripod legs this large cloth also protects the holders from direct light at all times. I learned to use such a large cloth while with Cole Weston.

I also have a big cloth

This one, also rain fly

I also have the camera in pic

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ark_Cloth.html
    Tin Can

For a long time, I used a large, double-thick black dark cloth that my wife made me. Then, I discovered on EBay one like the type that ViewCameraStore.com makes. There's no comparison; I really like these.

There was always so much hassle trying to use a traditional dark cloth, keeping it closed, keeping it straight, etc. With the Velcro at the bottom of the ViewCameraStore.com type, one can make an opening just large enough to permit bringing in a loupe to focus. But, it still keeps it closed.

I have two and will soon have three. One for 8x10, this is an ideal size. The 4x5 size fits around my medium format view camera, or a Wista style wood 4x5 OK. But, it's a little small for my 4x5 rail camera. I communicated with Fred Newman briefly, and he will make an in-between size, if I send him dimensions.

I will never go back to a traditional dark cloth. Not never!

On my 4x5 and 5x7 I started using a traditional dark cloth. I found that the light coming up from the ground prevented me from seeing the whole scene unless I bunched it up at the bottom and created a light tight sock. This technique has the detriment of not being able to use your loupe for fine focusing since you only have two hands. This worked for a long time and as others have said a longer dark cloth facilitates this technique.

When I started shooting 8x10 I found the BlackJacket by QuietWorks. I found this to be a lot lighter than my traditional dark cloth and I had the advantage of having both hands free. It also packs smaller than the dark cloth I used for the 8x10 which makes backpacking with it a lot easier. Their website is below and I highly recommend them since they have always had excellent customer support.

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FIL...OME_FRAME_.htm

If you want something a traditional dark cloth that is customized to your fashion statement Wandered Dark Cloths are also excellent. They have also made some custom carriers for my reducing backs. Here is their website.

https://www.wandererphotogear.com/dark-cloths

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Miguel

Drew Wiley

A velro tab will keep your darkcloth attached, white bits of corner Velcro or a simple clothespin can keep it wrapped around you in the wind. I use black Goretex fabric - waterproof, breathable, durable, and best of all, no lint! I don't know why people resort to cotton T-shirts and so forth. Around electrostatic film, lint is your worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have never used a dark cloth with my 4x5. I use a pop-out hood and long-reach loupe.
    What kind of “long reach loupe?” I haven’t seen very many available. Thanks.

I stopped using a darkcloth early on in my view camera practice. I started using the Linhof monocular focusing bag bellows and now I use a monocular viewer on Toyo 4X5s, and for the 810M, I made a neoprene hood that I can get my face into while wearing reading glasses or get the long loupe in there.

Name:	DSCF0931.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	214159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0930.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	214160