Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar C or F on a 6 inch rail, for transport

Sinar C or F on a 6 inch rail, for transport

Hello,

I have a question, again. With the Linhof Kardan Color, you transport the camera on a small section of the optical bench. This is screwed into the longer section and you can then fully extend the camera.

I recently came across a nice Sinar C, that I ordered a 6 inch section for. I wonder if I can slide the two standards and tripod mount onto the smaller section and then transport the camera flat, like the Kardan Color. Does anyone of you do this? I also have an F back standard, so could turn the C into an F, that would certainly be flatter. Anyway, I really enjoy outdoor photography with Sinar.

Greetings to all,

D.

Re: Sinar C or F on a 6 inch rail, for transport

should work; this is a P, but should be similar length requirementClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210323_135310.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	214130

Some people use an F, and then you can take off the bellows and turn the standards sideways parallel to the rail, using the longer rail, and have it flat that way.
    I usually take the whole thing apart and wrap the standards in the darkcloth.

I have a 4x5 F2 currently configured as a wide angle camera, using only a 6-inch rail section and the bag bellows. That works well, but a big advantage from my perspective is that I put it on the tripod and it's ready to use. I wouldn't want to hassle with adding/removing rail sections and repositioning the tripod block every time I unpack and pack it in the field. But you may have more patience for that than I do.

For me I am usually traveling somewhere and then setting up for the day in one location, using lenses 75mm to 180, sometimes longer or shorter, and then using the standard (12"?) rail for everything, so I like it all packed away.

Take a look at this thread that I did on Apug.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...camera.172997/

It shows how to customize a 6 inch rail and make it into a base rail, versus an extension. (Very easy to do.) Once the camera is on a tripod, you can then add additional six inch extension rails until you have the length of rail that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by robphoto View Post
    should work; this is a P, but should be similar length requirementClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210323_135310.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	214130

Some people use an F, and then you can take off the bellows and turn the standards sideways parallel to the rail, using the longer rail, and have it flat that way.
    I usually take the whole thing apart and wrap the standards in the darkcloth.
    Great, that looks really good. Even a P! This solution saves a lot of space. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I have a 4x5 F2 currently configured as a wide angle camera, using only a 6-inch rail section and the bag bellows. That works well, but a big advantage from my perspective is that I put it on the tripod and it's ready to use. I wouldn't want to hassle with adding/removing rail sections and repositioning the tripod block every time I unpack and pack it in the field. But you may have more patience for that than I do.
    If the camera is on the short rail section, you only need to attach it to the tripod and then screw on the longer sections. Then you push the standard forward and that's it, if I see it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    If the camera is on the short rail section, you only need to attach it to the tripod and then screw on the longer sections. Then you push the standard forward and that's it, if I see it correctly.
    The more extension you add, the more important it becomes to re-center the tripod block. Yes, this is a judgment call, and depends also on the stability of your tripod legs and head.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Take a look at this thread that I did on Apug.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...camera.172997/

It shows how to customize a 6 inch rail and make it into a base rail, versus an extension. (Very easy to do.) Once the camera is on a tripod, you can then add additional six inch extension rails until you have the length of rail that you need.
    That's a neat setup! Sinar made a stock rail cap that does what the one you made does, cap the "hollow" end of the rail; not sure I have one now.

Drew Wiley

I prefer longer lenses, so ordinarily leave the camera fully assembled with an 18 in rail in place, compendium too. I don't break it down for transport. It all fits ready-to-use, into the top compartment of my external frame backpack. But I'd have to break it down somewhat for an airline carry-on. Adding or removing rail sections, or rebalancing the camera along the rail clamp is super easy to do.