Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Getting ready to purchase enlarger lens/s

Re: Getting ready to purchase enlarger lens/s

CLS 1000 is the end-all of 5x7 heads. They are rare, but probably the best head ever built for 5x7.

The best part is the mixing boxes and the lamp/reflector combination. If the whole power supply fails, an emergency re-work would be to just power the lamp from 120 and a timer with the shutter open all the time. This would work for B&W.

I moved my L1840 with a single helper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unloading4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	219090

sculptorBradP

Still looking into the Dichroic missing part for the Durst 138 SP 5X7 enlarger w/ CLS1000color head EST1000 ... Also looks like the seller might have taken on another purchaser for the Durst 138 SP w/ CLAS1000 Head etc...??? Without the Dichroic reflector - the enlarger looks like a bust. The seller if I'm remembering correctly sold the Dichroic reflector off on the Durst Head 1000 previously. It seems he was already cannibalizing the enlarger for parts. Also waiting on another seller that I have spent $4,000.00 or $5,000.00 or more so far with on Linhof parts related to a Linhof Kardan Color 8x10 Triplex with all the possible attached parts- 1962/1964 model - includes 1960 and 1950 Linhof heavy tripods. The intermediate standard is not stable though - wobbles almost a 1/4 inch locked down as much as possible on the monorail. It stabilizes with the bellows attached between the rear standard and the front standard - also has the lens extension bellows. But the reduction full back for 5x7 for the Kardan Color Universal on the 8x10 frame has not been located yet by the seller. I am not sure a reduction back from 8x10 to 5x7 is a guaranteed find. Will also be looking for the middle standard, as well as possibly a replacement front standard for the Kardan Color 8x10. So there is not a 5x7 option in the immediate future, if in the future at all. A stable 8x10 is my main focus now. I have a Linhof Kardan Master GTL late / last version - 4x5 CLA by an authorized Linhof restoration - a different seller than the one for the Linhof Kardan Master 8x10 Triplex. The upgrade to a 5x7 for the GTL 4X5 view camera is less desirable for very heavy large old lenses. So the issue with the missing parts on the enlarger along with issues on the 8x10 make the practical purchase less of a focus. It seems the parts for the CLS 1000 are less common than even the proper light bulbs for the Durst 139 S / G 139 condenser head. I'm already on a quest for extremely difficult to find parts here. Turns out 5x7 also is problematic on film holders, and film is a bit more limited and expensive than 8x10. There is a Danish member of Photrio that has a full custom metal fabricated 8x10 Head for a Durst 138 S / G 139 at a very reasonable price - Claudius / Klaus. It seems that the 8x10 format - if the Head fabrication from Claudius / Klaus is good, it would prove more practical than the costs pursuing a potential no find unusable enlarger Head, or short duration Dichroic reflector life span if found. As well as a number of film holders and ect... that replicate the CLS-301 though - Trino Mask's 6x9, 4x5, 5x7, Trineg, and probably a number of other parts once the enlarger is at hand...

If the owner destroyed the CLS1000 by removing essential parts to make it inoperable, it is essentially worthless now. Is he offering it to you for free, or maybe just for the cost of shipping?

sculptorBradP

It was listed at $2,500.00 or a dollar or two less. Then he lowered it to $1999.00 or close to this amount after a while on the posting. I think it might have started somewhere around $3,000.00 / $3500.00 or more? - but I don't remember specifically. It was after getting feedback on the 138 SP with CLS-1000 EST-1000, that the subject of the Dichroic reflector having been sold to another party previously from off of the enlarger parts was mentioned, in email exchanges, or possibly during a phone call on the item. It was stated that it didn't really matter since it would only effect the aperture or speed - setting or such, not the quality of the output, that it was not needed to function as it should. Also that I could find another replacement for the missing part without too much trouble, along with other parts. So it seemed that one or more of the other parts were available but not listed in the sale as well, which made driving 4,800 miles or however far the location is round trip rather tentative. The listing popped up briefly a few days ago back at just under $2,500.00. The Trineg, film holders etc... Durst Trino Mask 450 4"X5" Negative Masks fits 5X7 Trigrafi Negative Carrier USA are not part of the sale. Also it only listed the Trino Oben upper mix box for Trinobox 69 - not a 5x7 Trino Oben upper mix box for Trinobox 5x7. The two - 1 Trino Box 138 (5"X7") lower, & 1 Trino Box 69 (6CMX9CM) lower are listed.
    Last edited by sculptorBradP; 5-Sep-2021 at 17:18.